imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Spartan198 06-04-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39178)
And the dog's voice is from Forest Whitaker

I'd buy it.

Evil Tim 06-09-2013 12:56 PM

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...8/Eye-spy.html

Microsoft really is trying to make all the most paranoid conspiracy theories come true, isn't it?

Spartan198 06-09-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39199)
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...8/Eye-spy.html

Microsoft really is trying to make all the most paranoid conspiracy theories come true, isn't it?

I'm more distracted by my gut-busting laughter at the fact that the article's accompanying picture is of somebody playing a PS3. XD

Evil Tim 06-09-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 39200)
I'm more distracted by my gut-busting laughter at the fact that the article's accompanying picture is of somebody playing a PS3. XD

I think actually that's a slimline PS2. Though they could have just put an 80s VCR there to represent the XBone.

Spartan198 06-10-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39201)
I think actually that's a slimline PS2.

No, it's a PS3. You can just barely see the edge of the PS button above his thumb.

Evil Tim 06-11-2013 01:58 AM

Can't say I'm that impressed by the new trailer for Ghosts, it looks like it's all over-cinematic Simon Says gameplay. Seems like Infinity Ward's forgotten that they're supposed to have a player rather than an actor they can give stage directions to.

I kind of like Treyarch for their attitude being more "No, what they're going to want to do is drive around in a tank with a flamethrower / shoot things with a Hind / mess around with a satellite cannon."

Excalibur 06-11-2013 12:07 PM

I am impressed with the recent trailers of Metal Gear Solid V and Titanfall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bIsk...FO7wRQ&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5ooV...FO7wRQ&index=1

funkychinaman 06-11-2013 02:10 PM

Now that the PS4 details are out, do you think MS has to backtrack on some of the "features" on Xbox One?

Excalibur 06-11-2013 07:42 PM

A full 9 minute trailer for MGSV and it's graphic as hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gEqmkduIeMU

Chitoryu12 06-12-2013 06:53 AM

I'll just list some of the things I'm excited about from current E3 releases.

The Division: Holy hell I want it. Open world tactical shooter set in a sort of post-apocalyptic NYC (my favorite city and a place that I've downright memorized the smells of) with brilliant graphics and gameplay and very nice destruction physics (including shooting through cover). It appears that you can also log in with a tablet and control a UAV to provide support.

Quantum Break: Not much detail on this one, but I'm a huge fan of Remedy and Alan Wake remains one of my favorite games. I definitely trust Sam Lake, and the pairing of it with a companion TV series intrigues me.

Battlefield 4: It's still over-the-top and stupid, but it's the fun kind. The multiplayer trailer just showed exactly why we love it. Destroying a parking garage support to drop a tank in from the street, fighting your way to the roof of a skyscraper to capture it and then parachuting off.....the entire skyscraper collapsing into the harbor and continuing to fight on and around the wreckage.

Watch Dogs: Looks like a great story-driven open world game, and the hacking helps add some flavor. So does the ability to call in support at any time from players on their iPhone and have them do some hacking for you.

Star Wars Battlefront: This is basically what every Star Wars fan wanted. An expansion of an already fun game that's now being done in the same engine as Battlefield 4.

The Crew: Open world multiplayer racing game on a scaled map of the United States, including (again) NYC.

Beyond Two Souls: I'm a fan of Quantic Dream, especially after Heavy Rain, so I'm excited to see how they improved on that game's flaws.

Metal Gear Solid V: It looks like they're fixing a lot of the flaws of the previous game (especially the gameplay randomly cutting out for cutscenes that last longer than the gameplay), as well as adding lots of stuff. Open world missions, vehicles and horses, a usable third-person combat system, and orgasm-inciting graphics.

Basically, this is all just perfect. 2013 and 2014 are gonna have some good shit. The Last Of Us coming out in a few days makes it all sweeter.

funkychinaman 06-12-2013 03:17 PM

If they already have Ridley Scott in the room, then why even call Michael Bay?

http://variety.com/2013/film/games/m...ve-1200491557/

S&Wshooter 06-12-2013 07:20 PM

Metro: Last Light is turning out to be pretty fun

Excalibur 06-12-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39215)
Metro: Last Light is turning out to be pretty fun

I had a lot of fun with that game. The stealth element is just tense and the guns are really cool, though you had to play ranger hardcore to use the AK74SU and the Saiga

S&Wshooter 06-12-2013 09:20 PM

I'm playing it on normal, and I just bought the Saiga

Excalibur 06-12-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39217)
I'm playing it on normal, and I just bought the Saiga

I guess I didn't notice the Saiga until I played it again on Ranger Hardcore

S&Wshooter 06-12-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39218)
I guess I didn't notice the Saiga until I played it again on Ranger Hardcore

You can buy it in the Church you get to after going through the swamp

Excalibur 06-13-2013 03:05 AM

For anyone who has a PS3, here's an unrated game, Valkyria Chronicles. I've recently been replaying it and it's an awesome alternate WWII kind of setting with a very unique combat system and art style.

Evil Tim 06-13-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39220)
For anyone who has a PS3, here's an unrated game, Valkyria Chronicles. I've recently been replaying it and it's an awesome alternate WWII kind of setting with a very unique combat system and art style.

Yeah, I've got that, it's a pretty neat game. Only problem with it is the scoring system is based entirely on how fast you complete missions, which means the ideal plan is a hideous bumrush which would realistically get the entire squad killed straight after the battle ends. Well, that and the miss completely / hit spot on accuracy system which makes low-level snipers almost useless without extensive save scumming.

Excalibur 06-13-2013 12:14 PM

I know, but once you get enough upgrades and even with rushing missions to get the A rank, you learn a few things to beat a mission fast and not get anyone killed in the process. The one thing I find that is bullshit is how crouched enemies can take more hits than standing even from head shots.

S&Wshooter 06-13-2013 05:20 PM

Beat Metro last night, got the bad ending because when I do stealth, I usually go with the "pick off everyone one-by-one without being seen" variety

Excalibur 06-13-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39223)
Beat Metro last night, got the bad ending because when I do stealth, I usually go with the "pick off everyone one-by-one without being seen" variety

You do know you can stealth knock people out right?

S&Wshooter 06-13-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39224)
You do know you can stealth knock people out right?

That is incredibly boring

Spartan198 06-13-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39225)
That is incredibly boring

Expressly why I've never done any "no kill" playthroughs in any MGS game.

Excalibur 06-14-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 39227)
Expressly why I've never done any "no kill" playthroughs in any MGS game.

MGS is different...it doesn't change the fucking ending if I kill everyone I see like Metro Last Light

Evil Tim 06-14-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39222)
I know, but once you get enough upgrades and even with rushing missions to get the A rank, you learn a few things to beat a mission fast and not get anyone killed in the process. The one thing I find that is bullshit is how crouched enemies can take more hits than standing even from head shots.

They can take more hits even if you're shooting them from behind their cover, even. Luckily you can make them stand up if you hit them with a grenade or destroy their cover, the really pro way is to hit the cover with a grenade that doesn't damage them because then they stand up and don't turn around.

It's also rather funny that crew-served weapons count the soldier as part of the weapon; he's the weapon's weak point, but he counts as armour rather than infantry and doesn't have a hitbox for his head. Still, not as downright bizarre as multi-part tanks counting their extra turrets as completely different vehicles or the AI thinking that it's playing a third-person shooter (it can't see the map and only uses LOS for each individual soldier, which is why you often see multiple enemies run past someone and then turn around as if they didn't know they were there).

funkychinaman 06-14-2013 09:48 PM

http://www.slashfilm.com/arnold-schw...-january-2014/

Two horrible ideas in one article. The franchise is a bruised and bloody carcass by now. Since T2 (now over twenty years old), the worldwide revenue from each subsequent film has diminished, while budgets keep going up, and I don't think a 65 year old Terminator is going to change that.

Evil Tim 06-15-2013 06:26 AM

I think the biggest problem (aside from the movies being bad) is that your ability to suspend disbelief really gets strained after two Terminators being sent back. Why didn't Skynet send the third back to the same place as the first, for example?

funkychinaman 06-15-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39231)
I think the biggest problem (aside from the movies being bad) is that your ability to suspend disbelief really gets strained after two Terminators being sent back. Why didn't Skynet send the third back to the same place as the first, for example?

Maybe they were playing under Looper rules? (time traveled at a preset interval) If Terminator 5 involved the machines sending Terminators back to 1984 and interacting with 1984 Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor Forrest Gump-style, that'll be pretty cool.

Evil Tim 06-15-2013 08:38 AM

Yeah, but I think Arnie's endoskeleton has turned into a zimmer frame at this point. He's more 'Aah, me back.'

I don't think they ever explained how the time travel worked, you just weren't supposed to think about it. Reese didn't know how it worked and John was distracted by having a totally awesome robot and being 12, but past two you start questioning it and it doesn't start answering you. And why would they send BEST TERMINATOR after the other two failed rather than first so it could help the other two if it couldn't find its original target?

funkychinaman 06-15-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39233)
Yeah, but I think Arnie's endoskeleton has turned into a zimmer frame at this point. He's more 'Aah, me back.'

I don't think they ever explained how the time travel worked, you just weren't supposed to think about it. Reese didn't know how it worked and John was distracted by having a totally awesome robot and being 12, but past two you start questioning it and it doesn't start answering you. And why would they send BEST TERMINATOR after the other two failed rather than first so it could help the other two if it couldn't find its original target?

It'd be cool if the Mexican guy at the gas station at the end of the first film turned out to be a T-1000, and the last image you see is his blade going though Sarah Connor. (But then again, if she dies in 1984/85, then all sorts of paradoxes occur, and I haven't had my coffee yet.)

And I know this picture is from two years ago, but it has to be addressed.

Swordfish941 06-16-2013 04:49 PM

I saw Man od Steel yesterdauy, and I FUCKING LOVE IT!!! I can't wait for the sequel.

funkychinaman 06-18-2013 07:27 PM

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...xclusive-97991

I'm glad he's gone, but how did they even get in that situation? Did every actor in Scotland between the ages 20-40 already say no?

Evil Tim 06-18-2013 07:46 PM

I've always rather suspected from the careers of various UK and Irish actors that nobody on these two islands is aware you can actually refuse to do something. Michael Caine being perhaps the best example of this phenomenon.

funkychinaman 06-18-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39261)
I've always rather suspected from the careers of various UK and Irish actors that nobody on these two islands is aware you can actually refuse to do something. Michael Caine being perhaps the best example of this phenomenon.

"I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Ben Kingsley is another. Star of Gandhi, Schindler's List, Hugo, and ... BloodRayne.

When I first heard about the remake, I read they were going with Kevin McKidd, which would've been great, but I guess that fell through.

Spartan198 06-19-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39262)
BloodRayne.

At least he doesn't have the stain of its even worse sequels on his resume. ;)

funkychinaman 06-19-2013 10:55 PM

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

It had to happen, right?

I can understand if they just with all digital content and no physical media, but to mix both made no sense. Now if only they'd make it backwards compatible...

funkychinaman 06-21-2013 04:05 PM

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...on-joining-in/

Okay, I'd watch that.

Excalibur 06-21-2013 05:42 PM

World War Z is an ok movie if it was named something else. It does not reflect the book at all.

Evil Tim 06-22-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39266)
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

It had to happen, right?

I can understand if they just with all digital content and no physical media, but to mix both made no sense. Now if only they'd make it backwards compatible...

Eh, I still wouldn't want to buy a console from a company that thought that was a good idea in the first place.

funkychinaman 06-22-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 39279)
Eh, I still wouldn't want to buy a console from a company that thought that was a good idea in the first place.

It'd be nice if they dumped the Kinect requirement as well. I barely use the one I have now.

I always expected them to backtrack a bit, but not this early. With no Halo game at launch, I'm probably going to wait a year or two after launch after prices go down.