imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

funkychinaman 03-18-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 38377)
Which one do you think can do an American accent, Kevin McKidd or Gerard Butler? If you think Kevin McKidd, watch Jorneyman and you'll change your mind.

I have not, but I didn't think it was fair to give Gerard Butler a free pass.

Excalibur 03-18-2013 03:24 PM

So while I'm waiting for Gears of War Judgement come out, I'm replaying Sleeping Dogs

funkychinaman 03-18-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 38379)
So while I'm waiting for Gears of War Judgement come out, I'm replaying Sleeping Dogs

My buddy and I play coop online together, so we're big fans of both GoW and Army of Two, so we're really torn about both franchises releasing new games so close to each other. I think we're just going to go with whichever game gets its price slashed first.

Spartan198 03-19-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38376)
You think Kevin McKidd is too Scottish? Gerard Butler is the reason why a whole generation of kids think that ancient Greeks all spoke with thick Scottish brogues. To me, he's one of the few Brits who can't pull off an American accent. (Sean Connery and Jason Statham being another two.)

McKidd's accent is a lot thicker than Butler's, though. 300 is the only exception I can think of; he sounds relatively... uh... normal in most of his other films.

Not to imply there's anything abnormal about being Scottish.

funkychinaman 03-19-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38383)
McKidd's accent is a lot thicker than Butler's, though. 300 is the only exception I can think of; he sounds relatively... uh... normal in most of his other films.

Not to imply there's anything abnormal about being Scottish.

I've never heard McKidd try an American accent. I know he was in Journeyman, and I think he was in Grey's Anatomy, but I didn't watch either. He pulled off an English accent when he wanted to in Rome though.

I'm still recovering from watching Butler in Machine Gun Preacher.

Spartan198 03-20-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38386)
I'm still recovering from watching Butler in Machine Gun Preacher.

I take it you would encourage me to avoid it?

funkychinaman 03-20-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 38391)
I take it you would encourage me to avoid it?

It's not a bad movie, and he otherwise does a good job, but his wandering accent is a bit distracting.

funkychinaman 03-22-2013 01:19 AM

While we're on the topic of Brits who can't play Americans, I just found out today that Sean Bean's real name is... Shaun Bean? (If you're going to go for a stage name, go all in, like Vin Diesel.)

funkychinaman 03-22-2013 07:36 PM

This is $15 I'll be spending.

Excalibur 03-22-2013 09:18 PM

Just saw Olympus has Fallen. Very emotionally charged. They were one step away from saying it was North Koreans and just said they were Korean terrorists...lame.

Another movie where we say the President is more important than an entire country.

So a C-130 enters US airspace and doesn't constantly get bombarded with questions on what its doing there 30 minutes out from the White House?

The terrorists pulled out a super anti air weapon out of their asses, which the plot tells us belongs to...the US and it was taken down by one RPG from Butler

They made a system where at the touch of a button, someone under the White House can self destruct ALL our nukes while they are still in their silos even though they clearly stated it was designed to stop nukes in flight.

Man, Gerald Butler is really trying to be an asshole character throwing insults and banter. It's like Die Hard all over again.

EDIT: Whatever they were firing from those MP5s either were supposed to be armored piercing or the movie forgot the Secret Service guys in plain clothes do wear body armor which should at least defeat 9mm rounds even at close range.