imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

Evil Tim 01-26-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 37706)
Someone noted that the Red Faction series was not included. I think it may have run its course though.

Apparently THQ officially canned the Red Faction series after Armageddon didn't sell. But Red Faction is Volition like Saints' Row, so I assume Koch picked up all their IPs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman
Oh, I know, but since it's the same premise and they brought in John Milius to write it anyway, why not?

Apparently Milius was actually an advisor and Homefront's entire script was written by an in-house guy at Kaos who wasn't credited because they wanted to pretend Milius had done it.

Excalibur 01-27-2013 02:11 AM

Well let's hope Crytek can make a better Homefront game

Evil Tim 01-29-2013 01:01 PM

Also, Eurocom's dead after 007 Legends and apparently Activision's pulled all digital versions of the Bond games from Steam and XBL (though not PSN when I got my copy of Legends), which has led to some speculation that they're trying to drop the entire Bond licence. I guess between Blood Stone doing badly, Legends tanking and all the movie-side production delays which prevented them making a Skyfall game they've decided it isn't worth it.

Incidentally, Legends is really, really bad. I feel the best summary of the amount of boat-missing going on is that there's more stealth in the Moonraker level than the OHMSS one, but it's also all the wrong movies to make a game from. I mean come on, You Only Live Twice has that wonderful crater battle, The Spy Who Loved Me is far better for straight-up action than Moonraker and hands you a bomb-fiddling minigame on a platter, and The Living Daylights has an honest-to-goodness end-of-movie boss fight, plenty of scope for recycling CoD assets in Afghanistan, and that cargo net fight that Uncharted 3 already had a version of if you're going to insist on QTEs.

Plus modernising all the movies is hardly a celebration of 50 years of Bond, it's more a denial of it.

SPEMack618 01-29-2013 05:31 PM

Always thought The Living Daylights, Lisence to Kill, and [Tomorrow Never Dies would have been cool Bond games. As well as the "Space Marines" assualt from the end of Moonraker

funkychinaman 01-29-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 37767)
Always thought The Living Daylights, Lisence to Kill, and [Tomorrow Never Dies would have been cool Bond games. As well as the "Space Marines" assualt from the end of Moonraker

Tomorrow Never Dies did come out as a video game back when the movie came out. I remember being disappointed finding out it wasn't a sequel to Goldeneye and that it wasn't available on the N64. (The release of Perfect Dark helped cheer me up though.)

Evil Tim 01-29-2013 06:36 PM

License to Kill gets a level (it's not good) and actually already had a game back in the day for home computers (my copy's for Commodore Amiga). It's a bizarre collection of increasingly impossible scrolling minigames, mostly shooting.

Moonraker does have that space section, including a zero-G section where you go outside that's an absolutely shameless ripoff of the bit where you go into that big zero-G area in Dead Space 2. They somehow exhumed Michael Lonsdale to play Drax again (he sounds like he's 33 years too old for the role, amazingly enough) but that's about the only good thing about the level. The ever-talentless Bruce Feirstein decided that Drax's cover for a gargantuan nerve gas launching space station (which you could totally put together in a post-9/11 world without anyone getting suspicious) is that it's for "space tourism." And there's vague mentions of the Moonraker astronauts being clones which don't go anywhere.

And there's a zero-G boss with mechanical loading arms which have bright orange cores and I'm not even kidding.

SPEMack618 01-29-2013 06:39 PM

Dark secret time: The first/last/only video game system I ever had was an N64. I had Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, The World is Not Enough, among other more prosaic entries such as Rogue Squadron, MarioKart, and AMORINES.

The "Space Marines" attack was the only the thing that made Moonraker bearable.

Evil Tim 01-29-2013 06:44 PM

Moonraker's ok if you catch it when you're a kid, it's like cartoon Bond who knows everything and deals with a guy who's as grandiose and absurd as Megatron or Skeletor. Being as it's the first Bond I ever saw, I can't really dislike it as much as I probably ought to.

SPEMack618 01-29-2013 06:55 PM

Sometimes I feel that way about Goldeneye which was the first Bond movie I ever saw in theaters. And is still my favorite to this day.

Evil Tim 01-29-2013 08:00 PM

Also in terms of hideous plotting, it's kind of hard to swallow the game's implication that Goldfinger, OHMSS, License to Kill, Die Another Day and Moonraker all happened between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall. Or that when Bond falls off the train into the river in Skyfall his life flashes before his eyes in the form of a mediocre FPS.