imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anti Gun movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1361)

AdAstra2009 11-16-2010 04:16 AM

Anti Gun movies

List all the horridly anti-gun movies that you can think of...

Off the top of my head

Liberty Stands Still
Shoot-em Up
Lethal Weapon 3
Runaway Jury
Fresh Prince of Bel Air (not a movie but still)

k9870 11-16-2010 12:21 PM

I dont remember lethal weapon 3 being anti gun, wasnt it about bad guys illegally making armor piercing ammo it wasn't saying they were buying this at gunstores or any of that crap.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 11-16-2010 12:33 PM

Runaway Jury is a particularly egregious offender, seeing as they had to go out of their way to make that movie antigun. The original book was about big tobacco.

MT2008 11-16-2010 01:40 PM

I made an IMFDB page a while back for a 1993 movie called "Strapped" (it's a made-for-HBO movie that was directed by Forest Whittaker that starred Bokeem Woodbine and Michael Biehn). That is probably one of the most anti-gun movies I've ever seen, and I first heard of it because a friend of mine from high school was actually forced to watch it in a class. My page for the movie is here:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Strapped

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 22088)
Fresh Prince of Bel Air (not a movie but still)

That show was anti-gun? Are you talking about the episode where Will gets mugged and shot, but then gets angry at Carlton for carrying a gun?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 22088)
Liberty Stands Still

I mentioned on the Talk Page for that movie that Kari Skogland (who directed "Liberty Stands Still") also directed a movie called "Rapid Fire" which was about the Norco, CA bank robbery. Not sure if "Rapid Fire" counts as an "anti-gun" movie, but it does show the bank robbers purchasing assault rifles at a gun store and later firing them on full-auto at the police, evidently without converting them. I would imagine most viewers would see the movie and think that automatic weapons can be bought at gun stores with minimal effort.

Swordfish941 11-16-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22096)
I would imagine most viewers would see the movie and think that automatic weapons can be bought at gun stores with minimal effort.

Yeah, you can buy automatic weapons from gun stores in theory. In theory, communism works. In theory, Megan Fox is the hottest woman in the world. In practice, you can't buy automatic weapons from gun stores, communism doesn't work, and Megan Fox is all plastic-y.

k9870 11-16-2010 03:47 PM

Do we have a list of pro gun actors?

Swordfish941 11-16-2010 04:22 PM

I remember an episode of The Simpsons (back when they were still good) where Homer buys a handgun for protection over a $500 Security System. And acts very irresponsible with it and treats it like a toy. The episode was non-biased and showed both sides of the gun control argument very equally. The moral of the episode was that a person like Homer shouldn't own a handgun. Why can't the media be non-biased?

MT2008 11-16-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 22100)
Why can't the media be non-biased?

Sometimes it can be. I watched an episode of "The Outer Limits" (the 1990s/2000s remake, not the original) which I thought had a fairly balanced portrayal of the gun control debate. You can watch the episode on Hulu if you get time:

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi984613401/

After I heard the end narration (where we learn the moral of the episode), I was surprised that this episode was even allowed to air.

Spades of Columbia 11-16-2010 05:31 PM

this tread has gone from movies to telvision and nobody said Macgyver yet?

MT2008 11-16-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 22103)
this tread has gone from movies to telvision and nobody said Macgyver yet?

We talked about this on the IMFDB page for that show. Even though Richard Dean Anderson is/was an HCI/Brady Campaign member, and even though his character in the show refused to use guns, "MacGyver" didn't really have any political statements against guns or gun ownership. That's the difference between it and almost every other movie/TV show we've listed so far.

k9870 11-16-2010 07:12 PM

The character was against guns but it was more a less a plot device, IMO. Reember, the show was about him making inventions and using his mind. If MacGyver carried a gun, well, this would be the show formula.

1. bad guys do something.
2. macgyver sees this.
3. "Bang"
4. credits

Elapsed time: 3 minutes.

Spades of Columbia 11-16-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22109)
We talked about this on the IMFDB page for that show. Even though Richard Dean Anderson is/was an HCI/Brady Campaign member, and even though his character in the show refused to use guns, "MacGyver" didn't really have any political statements against guns or gun ownership. That's the difference between it and almost every other movie/TV show we've listed so far.

I dont know...i remember a episode where a bald eagle gets shot at the begining and believing it to be pretty open about hunters and civilians with firearms being a bad thing.

MT2008 11-16-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 22110)
The character was against guns but it was more a less a plot device, IMO. Reember, the show was about him making inventions and using his mind. If MacGyver carried a gun, well, this would be the show formula.

1. bad guys do something.
2. macgyver sees this.
3. "Bang"
4. credits

Elapsed time: 3 minutes.

That's the thing I like about "Burn Notice"...Michael Westen comes up with all sorts of crazy improvised weapons and schemes to defeat the bad guys, but he isn't so self-righteous that he never uses guns. "Burn Notice" is pretty much the show that I wish "MacGyver" could have been (aside from the protagonist's distaste for guns, it was otherwise a pretty cool show).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 22111)
I dont know...i remember a episode where a bald eagle gets shot at the begining and believing it to be pretty open about hunters and civilians with firearms being a bad thing.

Hmmm, point taken then. But as long as the show wasn't constantly and overtly political about guns, I'm still not sure it's fair to classify "MacGyver" as an anti-gun show in the same way as "Liberty Stands Still" or "Strapped" (for example).

Spades of Columbia 11-16-2010 07:36 PM

So...would a...Bowling for columbine be concidered anti-gun. ;)

ooh...and a real one would be "American Gun".

Spades of Columbia 11-16-2010 07:42 PM

Lord of War was off and on Anti gun

I believe all the Leathal Weapons have anti-gun themes

and Witness had a anti-gun speech in it

funkychinaman 11-16-2010 07:43 PM

The Y2K episode of Family Guy had a strangely pro-gun message in the end. (The survivors melted down their guns, and thus were unable to fend off Stewie's mutant offspring.) Strange because the show is otherwise usually pretty liberal.

(And it just dawned on me that Family Guy has been around long enough to actually have a Y2K episode. Wow.)

MT2008 11-16-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 22115)

I didn't think it was all that anti-gun (besides the line about "There are more gun stores in America than McDonald's"). Deliberately selling weapons to dictators, war lords, and terrorists (knowing exactly how they plan to use the weapons), in violation of arms embargoes, is something I'm pretty sure that any reasonable person can agree is wrong, regardless of where they stand in the American gun control debate.

funkychinaman 11-16-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 22115)

I believe all the Leathal Weapons have anti-gun themes

and Witness had a anti-gun speech in it

Richard Donner is anti-gun.

k9870 11-16-2010 08:18 PM

Lord of War also showed that the bad guys had to buy illegally from him, they werent strolling into cabelas and coming out with a HK21e.

Spades of Columbia 11-16-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22117)
I didn't think it was all that anti-gun (besides the line about "There are more gun stores in America than McDonald's"). Deliberately selling weapons to dictators, war lords, and terrorists (knowing exactly how they plan to use the weapons), in violation of arms embargoes, is something I'm pretty sure that any reasonable person can agree is wrong, regardless of where they stand in the American gun control debate.

"Lord of War opens with one of the most impressive and provocative credit sequences in recent memory. Adopting a point-of-view perspective, the camera follows a bullet from its manufacture in an American factory to various ports, then across the globe to a small African village where it is placed in the chamber of a pistol and shot through the skull of a young boy."
-AZRickD-

I was speaking for on the front that the US gets more blame on gun issues and that Nato is alway doing heavy pushing on small arms banning. Plus the movie fail to properly inform the mainstream audiences about the deeper issues.

AdAstra2009 11-16-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22096)

That show was anti-gun? Are you talking about the episode where Will gets mugged and shot, but then gets angry at Carlton for carrying a gun?

Yup, specifically because Will reprimands Carlton and gives a speech to him saying using guns are "their" way and that essentially if Carlton used a gun to defend himself he would be bringing himself down to their level.

AdAstra2009 11-16-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 22113)
ooh...and a real one would be "American Gun".

Actually it sort of showed both sides.

*One of the women in the film buys a gun for protection after her friend is raped.
*The young black gas station attendant gives up his gun after being lectured by his principal but later is attacked by someone with a gun. Afterwards he spraypaints an airsoft gun black for protection.
*Portrays the gun store owner as an honest worker

MT2008 11-16-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 22121)
"Lord of War opens with one of the most impressive and provocative credit sequences in recent memory. Adopting a point-of-view perspective, the camera follows a bullet from its manufacture in an American factory to various ports, then across the globe to a small African village where it is placed in the chamber of a pistol and shot through the skull of a young boy."
-AZRickD-

I was speaking for on the front that the US gets more blame on gun issues and that Nato is alway doing heavy pushing on small arms banning. Plus the movie fail to properly inform the mainstream audiences about the deeper issues.

This "AZRickD" obviously doesn't know jack shit about weapons, and was also clearly not paying attention and/or high during the movie. The bullet shown isn't made in an American factory, it's made in a RUSSIAN factory, and it's fired from an AK, not a pistol. Seriously, dude, why on Earth would you trust some retarded leftist critic more than you trust me? :D

I'm also not sure how this movie blames the U.S., aside from the fact that Yuri Orlov (Cage's character) manages to get off because he has sent arms to authoritarian regimes that also happened to be CIA allies. It is true that during the Cold War, the U.S. supplied weapons to militia groups that probably shouldn't have received them. The movie does make clear that the origin of most of the weapons is from unsecured stocks in the former Soviet Union, not the U.S.

Spades of Columbia 11-16-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22124)
This "AZRickD" obviously doesn't know jack shit about weapons, and was also clearly not paying attention and/or high during the movie. The bullet shown isn't made in an American factory, it's made in a RUSSIAN factory, and it's fired from an AK, not a pistol. Seriously, dude, why on Earth would you trust some retarded leftist critic more than you trust me? :D

I'm also not sure how this movie blames the U.S., aside from the fact that Yuri Orlov (Cage's character) manages to get off because he has sent arms to authoritarian regimes that also happened to be CIA allies. It is true that during the Cold War, the U.S. supplied weapons to militia groups that probably shouldn't have received them. The movie does make clear that the origin of most of the weapons is from unsecured stocks in the former Soviet Union, not the U.S.

I did notice the pistol comment instead of the rifle but i thought i would let the dude slide on it...but what ur saying is coming across very logical.

Excalibur 11-16-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22109)

Sure RDA's MacGuyver character, but what about his character in Stargate. That show is nothing but guns

k9870 11-16-2010 10:44 PM

Once again hes an actor, completely different offscreen, credit to him not putting anti gun messages in stargate though, you know he had the chance to and didnt.

Gunmaster45 11-16-2010 10:47 PM

For the record it was a 7.62x39mm bullet loaded into an AK.

ShootingJames 11-17-2010 05:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5M5qx2xKTo

MacGyver had at least one episode where Mac explained his thoughts on the second amendment, saying that he felt it was about military, not private citizens, and that gun ownership should not be allowed.

But I believe it was discussed in a few episodes. It was more than a plot device.

ShootingJames 11-17-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 22126)
Sure RDA's MacGuyver character, but what about his character in Stargate. That show is nothing but guns

There is a behind the scenes clip of RDA talking about the guns he used in stargate, and he says "I hate them in real life, but it's fun shooting guns in full auto, but only with blanks."

MT2008 11-17-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingJames (Post 22165)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5M5qx2xKTo

MacGyver had at least one episode where Mac explained his thoughts on the second amendment, saying that he felt it was about military, not private citizens, and that gun ownership should not be allowed.

But I believe it was discussed in a few episodes. It was more than a plot device.

OK then, that definitely is not cool...we can add "MacGyver" to the list of anti-gun media, if only as an "honorary" member.

But usually, when somebody says "anti-gun" movie, I think of a movie where the entire purpose of the screenplay is to rail against gun ownership and the 2nd Amendment, or where guns are heavily demonized. Movies like "Liberty Stands Still" and "Strapped" epitomize this.

Excalibur 11-17-2010 06:58 PM

I remember a line from Legion (yes, it was a terrible movie), but one line where one guy asked another why he had a gun and he said for protection. And then the other guy asked "Protection against what?"...That is the stupidest liberal gun question I have ever heard.

MT2008 11-17-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 22168)
I remember a line from Legion (yes, it was a terrible movie), but one line where one guy asked another why he had a gun and he said for protection. And then the other guy asked "Protection against what?"...That is the stupidest liberal gun question I have ever heard.

I don't think that was a "liberal gun question". What he was really trying to get at is who Tyrese Gibson's character was...a "gangsta" who needed protection from other thugs in his "hood". I don't think it was meant to be political.

Excalibur 11-17-2010 08:06 PM

Sure, the guy does have the look that he used to be a gangsta, but the question itself "Protection from what?" That question is always asked by people who thinks guns don't belong in civilian hands. They ask why need a gun?

Spades of Columbia 11-17-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 22175)
Sure, the guy does have the look that he used to be a gangsta, but the question itself "Protection from what?" That question is always asked by people who thinks guns don't belong in civilian hands. They ask why need a gun?

Those people think that law enforcement works like I dream of Jeannie where you blink your eyes and the police are there to protect and serve. When in fact, they show up 20min after you already bled out. I on the other hand protect myself and use law enforcement for clean-up.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 11-17-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 22179)
Those people think that law enforcement works like I dream of Jeannie where you blink your eyes and the police are there to protect and serve. When in fact, they show up 20min after you already bled out. I on the other hand protect myself and use law enforcement for clean-up.

Nobody who has ever killed anybody in self defense talks like this.

AdAstra2009 11-17-2010 10:28 PM

"American President" with Michael Douglas

Quote:

"The other piece of legislation is the crime bill. As of today, it no longer exists. I'm throwing it out. I'm throwing it out and writing a law that makes sense. You cannot address crime prevention without getting rid of assault weapons and hand guns. I consider them a threat to national security, and I will go door to door if I have to, but I'm gonna convince Americans that I'm right, and I'm gonna get the guns."
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/Movi...president.html

Spades of Columbia 11-17-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 22194)
Nobody who has ever killed anybody in self defense talks like this.

What? the part about thinking the police can actually protect you or the part about a person prtecting themselves (kill or be killed) and then calling the police to handle the paper work and everything else that goes with a dead body.

AdAstra2009 11-17-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 22199)
What? the part about thinking the police can actually protect you or the part about a person prtecting themselves (kill or be killed) and then calling the police to handle the paper work and everything else that goes with a dead body.

He was referring to you talking like this

Quote:

I on the other hand protect myself and use law enforcement for clean-up.

Spades of Columbia 11-17-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 22201)
He was referring to you talking like this

So is using the term clean-up disrespectful to the criminal breaking into homes to steal, murder, and rape...or is it simply saying that police are only good for janitor work.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 11-17-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 22202)
So is using the term clean-up disrespectful to the criminal breaking into homes to steal, murder, and rape...or is it simply saying that police are only good for janitor work.

It shows you give no gravity to the implications of taking human life and is disrespectful to the status and duties of law enforcement. Real life isn't like Dirty Harry or Death Wish, you can't just blast away somebody who threatens you, have the cops mop it up with Lysol, and then get on with your life all within the hour.