imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Time for categories for book authors with enough gun-using film adaptations? (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2191)

funkychinaman 04-19-2013 04:55 AM

Pandolfini came up with a third way. This allows the creation of a category.

commando552 04-19-2013 09:51 AM

Is there are reason why we cant have a (for example) "Kevin Costner" page that has his acting credits, and a separate "Category:Kevin Costner" page for his directing works linked to from his actor page? This way you would have actor and director pages that fit both of the current standards.

Ben41 04-19-2013 11:22 AM

The reason why I combined the pages for actor/directors because there's a bit of confusion when creating a category for that person.

I mean, Do you only add films that the actor has directed in this category? Why would you not add the actor's acting credits to this?

I believe the Clint Eastwood category is pretty unique due to his immense presence on the database (is there another individual on the database that's comparable?)

funkychinaman 04-21-2013 07:52 PM

We just got another two item director category. If we're going to set a limit, we should do it soon. Want to say four?

Mazryonh 04-22-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 38766)
We just got another two item director category. If we're going to set a limit, we should do it soon. Want to say four?

Sure, four sounds like a good number.

Evil Tim 04-22-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben41 (Post 38746)
The reason why I combined the pages for actor/directors because there's a bit of confusion when creating a category for that person.

I mean, Do you only add films that the actor has directed in this category? Why would you not add the actor's acting credits to this?

I believe the Clint Eastwood category is pretty unique due to his immense presence on the database (is there another individual on the database that's comparable?)

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a table below the gun lists for "other work" to list things like voice acting roles and direction and give full credit for everything that actor's done on the database. I guess multiple lines if they had more than one role in the production. So like

= Other Work =

Title || Role || Year

That one movie || Director || 1807

Mazryonh 05-08-2013 09:31 PM

Damn, now that I've watched The Road, I'd think that Cormac McCarthy (author of the original Pulitzer-Prize-winning novel of the same name) deserves an author category of his own. Sadly, he has only three movies that qualify for inclusion on this wiki, which are All the Pretty Horses, No Country for Old Men, and The Road, which disqualifies him from inclusion according to the "4 titles required" rule, even if his movies are highly-rated.

I've just created the Philip K. Dick page. Hopefully someone can move it to "Category:Philip K. Dick" soon.

funkychinaman 05-09-2013 05:07 AM

What I took away from the conversation was that we WEREN'T going to create it.

Ben41 05-10-2013 11:41 PM

4 titles is probably too few to justify creating a new author category, given that directors only need three and usually they are more involved with the direct production of the feature.

I mean, Ian Fleming would be a more justifiable candidate for a page, but that doesn't mean it should necessarily be made.

funkychinaman 05-11-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben41 (Post 39022)
4 titles is probably too few to justify creating a new author category, given that directors only need three and usually they are more involved with the direct production of the feature.

I mean, Ian Fleming would be a more justifiable candidate for a page, but that doesn't mean it should necessarily be made.

Did we ever decide on three?