imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Correct Weapon nameing (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=99)

Rockwolf66 02-26-2009 10:41 PM

Correct Weapon nameing

I'm wondering who else here gets annoyed when someone calles a firearm by the wrong name because everyone calls it that?

You know the people who call an MP-40 a "Schmeisser", or the Armsel Striker and it's derivatives the DAO-12 or the China Lake Launcher the EX-41*. it makes people sound like idiots who don't know what they are talking about.

*There really is an EX-41 pump action Grenade launcher but it's a single prototype from the 1990's and fires a custom 40mm High Velocity round

MoviePropMaster2008 02-26-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 759)
I'm wondering who else here gets annoyed when someone calles a firearm by the wrong name because everyone calls it that?

You know the people who call an MP-40 a "Schmeisser", or the Armsel Striker and it's derivatives the DAO-12 or the China Lake Launcher the EX-41*. it makes people sound like idiots who don't know what they are talking about.

*There really is an EX-41 pump action Grenade launcher but it's a single prototype from the 1990's and fires a custom 40mm High Velocity round

Are you talking on IMFDB? or the general public? If it's the general public, you can't worry about it, but IMFDB.org is here to set a lot of those myths straight. If it's on IMFDB, then the person truly IS an idiot. (versus someone who just makes an honest mistake).

Rockwolf66 02-26-2009 11:45 PM

I've spent quite a bit of my time so far changing weapon names from DAO-12 to it's real world name. The name DAO-12 is from Battlefield 2 and should remain there. It's a real pet peeve of mine as I wrote the varient list for the Armsel Striker Wikipedia page.

As for the China Lake Launcher I wrote the page and included a blurb about it being mistakenly called the EX-41. Hopefully random users read the page before writing up an EX-41 page.

MT2008 02-27-2009 03:04 AM

I always wondered why the DAO-12 was used to refer to the Striker/Street Sweepers myself? I don't know much about those guns, but I did get annoyed at how IMFDB used to assume any of those guns were "DAO-12 Street Sweepers". I fixed up the page myself, but still confess my ignorance on those weapons and telling them apart.

Regardless, I do not use the "DAO-12" nomenclature, and I discourage anyone else from doing so.

Rockwolf66 02-27-2009 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 770)
I always wondered why the DAO-12 was used to refer to the Striker/Street Sweepers myself? I don't know much about those guns, but I did get annoyed at how IMFDB used to assume any of those guns were "DAO-12 Street Sweepers". I fixed up the page myself, but still confess my ignorance on those weapons and telling them apart.

Regardless, I do not use the "DAO-12" nomenclature, and I discourage anyone else from doing so.

Well the only member of that family I have ever seen in real life was a Cobray Ladies Home Companion. Having looked at one I would have much rather bought the Franchi LAW-12 sitting next to it. Why can't california adopt Nevada Style Gun Laws?

As for the Cobray Street Sweeper a forum aquaintance of mine remarked that they have horrible triggers and are not that great a shotgun.

Excalibur 02-27-2009 05:45 AM

speaking of shotguns, I wonder if the AA-12 is all that it's cracked up to be

Rockwolf66 02-27-2009 07:43 AM

Just looking at an AA-12 it seems rather bulky to me. As a friend who is a Class 3 Firearms instructor put it. You can do everything a Full-Auto Shotgun can with a semi-auto only better. Meaning that yes you can hose down an area with a FA shotgun, but a semiauto can get the lead out just as fast(usually hits more targets with less shots).