imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fired off Rocket Launchers (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1943)

Rockwolf66 03-17-2012 01:38 AM

Fired off Rocket Launchers

Hey all I was wondering what the legality of Fired off rocket launchers as the local gun/surplus stores have things like fired off LAW rockets, AT4s, and in one case a Stinger Missile launch tube(with trigger and sight). I know that they are legal in some places to own but I'm not 100% on how.

I would love to hear from various members about this.

k9870 03-17-2012 03:06 AM

Probably the way you can buy a grenade launcher but need to register the grenades as destructive devices. You can buy the tube but the rockets are gonna be trickier.

Rockwolf66 03-17-2012 03:51 AM

If what I have read on the various surplus forums such systems once fired are legally the same as expended brass.

Basically LAW rocket launchers and AT4 systems once they are fired are legal for civilians to own without a permit.

Today I found a used Stinger Missile Launcher in a local gunstore. it was one of those things where one asks is it really legal?

AdAstra2009 03-18-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 34488)
If what I have read on the various surplus forums such systems once fired are legally the same as expended brass.

Basically LAW rocket launchers and AT4 systems once they are fired are legal for civilians to own without a permit.

Today I found a used Stinger Missile Launcher in a local gunstore. it was one of those things where one asks is it really legal?

Well all it is now is a fiberglass tube...

Rockwolf66 03-19-2012 03:01 AM

Looking again in some places like Kommiefornia* those fiberglass tubes are as illegal as the anti-aircraft missiles they once held.

* yes I know I deliberatly slured the name of california but I don't have any really good feelings for a place that voted in Moonbeam brown twice.

Spartan198 03-19-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 34505)
Looking again in some places like Kommiefornia* those fiberglass tubes are as illegal as the anti-aircraft missiles they once held.

* yes I know I deliberatly slured the name of california but I don't have any really good feelings for a place that voted in Moonbeam brown twice.

Hey, I live in California and don't have many good things to say about the state government, so you aren't alone, my friend. ;)

Rockwolf66 03-20-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 34509)
Hey, I live in California and don't have many good things to say about the state government, so you aren't alone, my friend. ;)

I was born and raised in California. I moved up to Oregon a little more than a year ago. I'm loving it up here as it's like California when I was a kid, there's so much more freedom to do what you want up here.

AdAstra2009 03-28-2012 02:30 PM

From what I've read you actually cannot use a LAW/AT4 more than once because the tube cannot handle the stress of more than one shot. Also I've never heard of the practice of reloading used tubes either.

So it's even more useless then spent brass.

Rockwolf66 03-28-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 34547)
From what I've read you actually cannot use a LAW/AT4 more than once because the tube cannot handle the stress of more than one shot. Also I've never heard of the practice of reloading used tubes either.

So it's even more useless then spent brass.

I have heard of people reloading the tubes on a LAW rocket. It's extremly rare as it's dangerous and not worth the effort in most cases. As you said the launchers are intended to be one shot and toss.