imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fun with bots (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1960)

Evil Tim 04-17-2012 09:19 PM

Fun with bots

So, some guy called Cheywoodward2 seems to have himself an editing bot which has proceeded to remove all double-spaced line breaks from articles. Trouble is Cheywoodward2's bot is stupid and so has removed all the double-spaced linebreaks which indicate paragraphs from articles. This, in case anyone is wondering, is why I'm currently having an enjoyable time rolling back hundreds of edits the buggering thing had made over the last day, since I haven't the time to check every individual edit to see if it's good or not.

Could we amend the rules to make using a bot without admin permission a bannable offence? This is ridiculous and he should never have done it without asking the admins exactly what his bot should and should not be allowed to change. :mad:

Rockwolf66 04-17-2012 09:57 PM

While I am sure that we could use some bots to clean up things, but to use a bot on someone elses page without permission is bad manners at minimum. While I am sure they did it in good faith, It's causeing a major problem.

I would sugest a change in the rules to prevent the use of bots by non-Admins.

MT2008 04-17-2012 11:00 PM

I blocked him in the meantime.

funkychinaman 04-17-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 34742)
I blocked him in the meantime.

If he's blocked, he won't get a chance to explain himself. I don't think he's on the forum.

zackmann08 04-18-2012 04:52 AM

As someone who had a number of my pages redone by this guy's bots, this is definitely annoying. I will say this though, keep in mind that (HOPEFULLY) he did this with good intentions. If he's told to stop and keeps doing it, then he def should be banned. I myself was new here not to long ago, its hard sometimes to know the culture of what goes on here and what is or isn't okay to do.

Just my 2 cents.

zackmann08 04-18-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackmann08 (Post 34747)
As someone who had a number of my pages redone by this guy's bots, this is definitely annoying. I will say this though, keep in mind that (HOPEFULLY) he did this with good intentions. If he's told to stop and keeps doing it, then he def should be banned. I myself was new here not to long ago, its hard sometimes to know the culture of what goes on here and what is or isn't okay to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Ok so I would like to amend my previous statement. After looking at the absurd number of edits this guy did, I too am pissed off...

Evil Tim 04-18-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackmann08 (Post 34751)
Ok so I would like to amend my previous statement. After looking at the absurd number of edits this guy did, I too am pissed off...

Yeah, I undid several hundred last night and I still have a lot more to go through next time I feel like hitting the rollback button for half an hour.

MT2008 04-18-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 34743)
If he's blocked, he won't get a chance to explain himself. I don't think he's on the forum.

It's only temporary. I'm afraid that if he is running a bot, it may edit more pages. He can explain himself in 2 weeks.

Evil Tim 04-18-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 34753)
It's only temporary. I'm afraid that if he is running a bot, it may edit more pages. He can explain himself in 2 weeks.

But you banned him for a month. :p

MT2008 04-18-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Tim (Post 34754)
But you banned him for a month. :p

Oops, forgot that it was that long...I just wanted to temp-ban him, but didn't pay much attention to how long.