imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cylinder not closing on my revovler..... (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1819)

k9870 07-05-2011 02:59 AM

Cylinder not closing on my revovler.....

Keeps coming out, seems the cylinder release is very stiff and wont go into the closed position, just stays forward. Even holding it back i can only get the cylinder to stayt sometimes, then its a chore rleasing it again. weird.

FIVETWOSEVEN 07-05-2011 04:47 AM

What mode of revolver is it?

k9870 07-05-2011 12:53 PM

taurus 669

FIVETWOSEVEN 07-05-2011 03:02 PM

Is it a brand new revolver? If it is you can send it back to Taurus. Even if it isn't new they still may be able to fix it for you.

k9870 07-05-2011 03:07 PM

They got a lifetime warranty, but legendarily bad service, its a 1988 made model. i was hoping there may be an easy diy fix to avoid the shipping fees, the hassle, and the not having a working handgun.

FIVETWOSEVEN 07-05-2011 07:21 PM

I believe they pay for the shipping. Don't you have other handguns?

k9870 07-05-2011 07:25 PM

in 21 days i'll have other handguns :)

Seems it is a cylinder release issue. Wonder if it's easy to fix.

predator20 07-05-2011 08:47 PM

Are there any local smiths you can take it to? Detail stripping one of them (a revolver) is much more complex than an auto.

Or you can always buy one of the AIG videos and see if you want to tackle it yourself.

BeardedHoplite 07-05-2011 09:37 PM

I had the same problem with a Taurus .22 my family bought. But the problem was fixed by Taurus for free.

Yournamehere 07-05-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 30859)
Are there any local smiths you can take it to? Detail stripping one of them (a revolver) is much more complex than an auto.

Or you can always buy one of the AIG videos and see if you want to tackle it yourself.

Not exactly. Something S&W based will be relatively easy, not requiring any punches for pins, just screwdrivers to get the sideplate off.

I have some advice as I've opened up my 19 before, but do this at your own risk. Also I'm assuming this gun is built very similarly to a Smith

First off, you can simply unscrew the release latch and see if that helps at all. It'll partially expose the actual release part (I'm not sure of its technical name) which actually depresses the cylinder plunger and unlocks the cylinder.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to take the sideplate off the gun and look inside. Taurus guns are very similar to S&W guns, and being this is an older one I'm assuming it' will be even more similar than say a newer one, but, I reiterate, do this at your own risk. You may just end up with a buncha parts out and you might have no clue how to get them back in. I would find a cutaway or schematic of a Taurus 669 or something similar before doing anything inside the gun or take detailed pictures of it with the parts still in so as to have a frame of reference.

Get out what needs to come out to get to the release part and examine it. In all likelihood it's just filled with carbon or grit from lots of firing, lack of maintenance, or both, or perhaps a spring that's part of the mechanism is caught. The mechanism itself might just need to be taken apart and rebuilt as well, but at the very worst the part is broken and will have to be replaced.

And, as someone else has said, if you aren't daring enough (don't kick yourself for that, I've gotten in too deep myself a couple of times) just take it to a gunsmith and have them take a look, granted they don't charge you too much money.