imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   So what is the background to your IMFDB user name? (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=994)

MoviePropMaster2008 03-22-2010 08:07 PM

So what is the background to your IMFDB user name?

How did you come up with your username? is there a hidden or professional or personal reference to it?

Mine has a long and tortuous explanation, so I'll hold that off for later. ;)

Anyone?

S&Wshooter 03-22-2010 08:09 PM

I love S&W's and shooting, so I chose S&Wshooter. As you can tell, it was a pretty complicated and drawn out decision :p

Alcatrazz 03-22-2010 09:11 PM

I liked the band, and it's fun to say.

MoviePropMaster2008 03-22-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 12630)
As you can tell, it was a pretty complicated and drawn out decision :p

I'm sure some academics out there could write long and detailed dissertations as to the reasoning behind your username, all the way from Jungian analysis to Nietzschean etymological constructs. LOL! ;)

Alcatrazz 03-22-2010 09:14 PM

The phallic implications are STAGGERING. But that's true for 90% of this site's content anyway.

S&Wshooter 03-22-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcatrazz (Post 12635)
The phallic implications are STAGGERING. But that's true for 90% of this site's content anyway.

*headbutt*

FirearmFan 03-22-2010 11:03 PM

It doesn't require a rocket scientist to figure out the meaning behind mine. I like guns. The reason I chose it for this forum is because I chose that name a long time ago for the first forum I joined and I just kinda kept using it.

Mandolin1 03-22-2010 11:04 PM

Mine is a Tom Clany referance. In The Hunt for Red October, the American opperation to capture the Red October is code-named MANDOLIN, Jack Ryan's code-name being MAGI. Funny thing: in Clancy's book Debt of Honor, the Ammerican mission to take out the JApanese nukes in conducted by the 509th Bomb Group and is code-name Operation TIBBETS. The irony? Back in WW2, Col. Tibbets, in comand of the 509th BG, intruduced to Japasnese to the A-bomb. Clancy has a historical sense of humor.

Zulu Two Six 03-22-2010 11:16 PM

well i just used this on a previous forum and decided to use the phonetic alphabet and number combination of Z-2-6

Markost 03-23-2010 03:21 AM

I use this name in other forums, basically it´s my name and my surname´s first letter (plus a "k" instead of the "c").

Excalibur 03-23-2010 04:26 AM

Excalibur has been my moniker for a long time since high school. Obviously back then I had a love for the King Author stories and been using this for pretty much everything, my email, etc.

It just stuck.

ManiacallyChallenged 03-23-2010 06:29 PM

I'm not crazy... just Maniacally Challenged.

Yeah. A science teacher in middle school called me crazy because of my love for blue vitriol(it's BLUE!) and I denied it with the above phrase.

It's been my favorite thing to say for years and years.

MoviePropMaster2008 03-23-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged (Post 12663)
I'm not crazy... just Maniacally Challenged.

Actually Maniacally Challenged means that you are sane, i.e. NOT Maniacal. If that's what you intended to say, then good. If not, then ooops. :)

ManiacallyChallenged 03-24-2010 03:30 AM

Actually no.
Take for example:
horizontally challenged = fat person
vertically challenged = short person

what it means, is that you are the wrong side of something. A horizontally challenged person is TOO horizontal, and a vertically challenged person is NOT ENOUGH vertical.

It basically means, the opposite of good. :D Complex, no?

MT2008 03-24-2010 03:30 AM

My name is Matt, and I was class of 2008 (and I first discovered this site around the time of my graduation - it was a distraction from more practical matters, such as job-hunting). It really is that simple. In retrospect, I probably should've chosen a better name, but what can I say - it's one of the many things I have done without thinking it through. No "phallic implications".

I have also posted on many other gun boards under the name "MatBananas717". Maybe that's phallic, I dunno... :D

MoviePropMaster2008 03-24-2010 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged (Post 12671)
It basically means, the opposite of good. :D Complex, no?

No, but heck it's your name. But from an English standpoint and the etymology of current vernacular, challenged means being held back from being (said condition). Your name MEANS the opposite of being maniacal, not the other way. ma·ni·a·cal Suggestive of or afflicted with insanity chal·lenged Deficient or lacking of said condition.

Sorry to break that to you. But I can only argue the actual use of words in popular culture, not what you want your name to mean (which is whatever you want it to mean). :)

MoviePropMaster2008 03-24-2010 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 12672)
I have also posted on many other gun boards under the name "MatBananas717". Maybe that's phallic, I dunno... :D

I always wondered about the Freudian implications of MatBananas........ ;)

Rockwolf66 03-24-2010 04:40 AM

Well my username is just a mishmash of random things I like.

Rock=I'm a big fan of various styles of Rock and Roll.
Wolf= yes I like canines of the non-domesticated variety. Sometimes i go by Canusdirus66 while online.
66=At the time my dream car was the 1966 Chevelle Malibu SS. Over the years it has changed to a 1970 Chevelle Malibu SS factory badged with a 454 LS6 engine.

Interesting enough the initials of my user name match my real last initials.

MoviePropMaster2008 03-24-2010 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 12681)
Well my username is just a mishmash of random things I like.

Rock=I'm a big fan of various styles of Rock and Roll.
Wolf= yes I like canines of the non-domesticated variety. Sometimes i go by Canusdirus66 while online.
66=At the time my dream car was the 1966 Chevelle Malibu SS. Over the years it has changed to a 1970 Chevelle Malibu SS factory badged with a 454 LS6 engine.

Interesting enough the initials of my user name match my real last initials.

I thought it was the name of a metal band..... damn! :)

Spartan198 03-24-2010 09:07 AM

Well, basically, my name started in August of '07 when I joined a Rome: Total War forum called totalwar.org.

I originally called myself SpartanGlory1983. I know, it sucks, but I didn't think so at the time.

Then it got to be a mouthful and I shortened it (but not by much) to SpartanGlory198.

Eventually that came to be a mouthful as well, so I lopped off the "Glory" part and shortened it to Spartan198 and that's what I've been using for a good few years now.

A lot of people think it's a Halo reference, but it's not. It's a reference to the real super soldiers of the ancient world, the Spartans who at the head of 7,000 other Greeks fought the hordes of Persia to a stand still on a narrow mountain pass in the summer of 480 BC.

No retreat. No surrender.

Rockwolf66 03-24-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 12684)
I thought it was the name of a metal band..... damn! :)

The Canusdirus Alias is currently being used as the name of a Rock band in the fiction i write for fun.

ManiacallyChallenged 03-25-2010 04:42 PM

Tonight! We dine! In he- heck!

MoviePropMaster2008 04-08-2010 08:18 PM

Movie Prop Master is an actual job title on the set of a film. I use that when I interact with jittery anti gun folks, like city officials, insurance folks, 'some' police, and the ignorant lay-public. Using the more accurate term Gun Wrangler or Armorer has actually made people freak out, even though many times I am NOT the actual propmaster for the entire film (only the weapons related portions).

The real propmaster is in charge of everything like chairs, plates, plants, rugs, sheets, pens, pencils, etc. etc. etc. I don't ever do anything like that, however, I do cover everything related to the weapons as well, holsters, rigs, body armor, tactical gear, web gear, accessories, etc. which a regular propmaster wouldn't have the slightest idea about.

It doesn't mean that I am a 'master' of anything. It is a Politically correct 'alternate name' I sometimes 'adopt' to keep anti gunners from flipping out. When I say "prop" they relax, somehow assuming that all the guns are now 'safe', even though they are real and can be re-converted to live ammo fire eventually, (or immediately if they are manually operated guns).

On the master note, I tend to have an immediate bias against anyone who self proclaims themselves a 'master' of something. "I am stealth master" "I am combat master" To my ears it sounds obnoxious (sorry guys) and makes me think of an angry 13 yr old Call of Duty fanboy. In the real world, you self proclaim yourself a 'master' of anything, you'll get a real world smack down faster than lightning. ;)

Edit:
On a lighter note, the traditional name for a woman in that role was "Prop Mistress", but apparently I'm the only one left who uses that antiquated term. Mike Papac once laughingly warned me NEVER to utter that phrase on a set with a FEMALE Propmaster. Her inner angry feminist will kick my ass! ;) Which is why we see more and more female actresses proclaiming themselves to be 'actors' (which is MALE in gender).

S&Wshooter 04-08-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged (Post 12726)
Tonight! We dine! In hell!

Fixed that for you

Rockwolf66 04-08-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 12959)
Edit:
On a lighter note, the traditional name for a woman in that role was "Prop Mistress", but apparently I'm the only one left who uses that antiquated term. Mike Papac once laughingly warned me NEVER to utter that phrase on a set with a FEMALE Propmaster. Her inner angry feminist will kick my ass! ;) Which is why we see more and more female actresses proclaiming themselves to be 'actors' (which is MALE in gender).

Funny thing is that traditionally "Mistress" indicates that the woman is the head of whatever area she controled. Thus unless you are talking about someones lover then it is a trem of respect.

PS: scratch that theory about who MPM really is. Yeah I'm trying to whittle down who MPM really is as a way to pass the time and test my information gathering and analysing skills. Then again I really don't know much more than the major names in the film armorer buisiness.

Excalibur 04-08-2010 10:52 PM

So, MPM, do people call you "Hey Prop Master!" And you like it when ppl call you that?

MoviePropMaster2008 04-09-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 12964)
So, MPM, do people call you "Hey Prop Master!" And you like it when ppl call you that?

Actually on set I hear the sweet sweet sound of the Director and then the Asst. Director screaming my name from a distance or I hear the sound of the walkie Talkies of all the assistant squawking whether or not they have the '20' on my position. ;)
Other than on a set, why would anyone address me other than my name? And on the set, everyone usually KNOWS your name. I have never heard a director yell to his Chief camera operator "Hey Camera guy!" ;) LOL

Excalibur 04-09-2010 01:46 AM

He'll be the most ass hole ish director "Hey you, yeah you camera guy."

MoviePropMaster2008 04-09-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 12966)
He'll be the most ass hole ish director "Hey you, yeah you camera guy."

Hey YOU! Producer dude! Where are my circus elephants?

Hey you! Wardrobe chick! I want spandex EVERYTHING!

Hey you! Crafts Services girl! Where's my Peruvian coffee

Hey I want a crane shot - old cinematographer fart!

:D

MT2008 04-09-2010 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 12959)
On the master note, I tend to have an immediate bias against anyone who self proclaims themselves a 'master' of something. "I am stealth master" "I am combat master" To my ears it sounds obnoxious (sorry guys) and makes me think of an angry 13 yr old Call of Duty fanboy. In the real world, you self proclaim yourself a 'master' of anything, you'll get a real world smack down faster than lightning. ;)

Hmmmm, but then what about the term "weapons master"? I know I've seen at least a few armorers who got credited that way.

I've also seen the term "master armorer" on at least one movie, though I think it's meant to distinguish the "lead" armorer from the "assistants".

EDIT: Did a quick IMDB search of those phrases. Simon Atherton is credited as "Master Armorer" on Black Hawk Down, and Mike Papac was "Master Armorer" on S.W.A.T. and XXX 2. It looks like Harry Lu was credited as "weapons master" on a bunch of movies.

MoviePropMaster2008 04-09-2010 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 12971)
Hmmmm, but then what about the term "weapons master"? I know I've seen at least a few armorers who got credited that way.

I've also seen the term "master armorer" on at least one movie, though I think it's meant to distinguish the "lead" armorer from the "assistants".

EDIT: Did a quick IMDB search of those phrases. Simon Atherton is credited as "Master Armorer" on Black Hawk Down, and Mike Papac was "Master Armorer" on S.W.A.T. and XXX 2. It looks like Harry Lu was credited as "weapons master" on a bunch of movies.

Actually I mean usernames. NOT talking about actual titles. I mean like I go on an airsoft forum or a Video Game forum and every other user has a name like 'Death Master' or 'Sniper Master'. I wasn't talking about pros in the field who are given those titles. Usually the Master Armorer is the head dude, who overseas the other armorers. Weapons Master usually (thought not always) means the guy who not only provides the weapons, but does a lot of the on set training (and it refers A LOT to edged weapons experts as well as gun experts).

So No, I was talking about posers, not professionals :)

Excalibur 04-09-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 12967)
Hey YOU! Producer dude! Where are my circus elephants?

Hey you! Wardrobe chick! I want spandex EVERYTHING!

Hey you! Crafts Services girl! Where's my Peruvian coffee

Hey I want a crane shot - old cinematographer fart!

:D

Sounds like an afternoon with Micheal Bay in addition to asking for more explosions and better shots of the military whoring themselves out for the camera.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ur01/img01.jpg
"Alright, I want the story arc to be THIS flat"

gunguy001 04-18-2010 08:20 PM

My name, well when I first started, people would call me the gunguy until they could remember my name.
As for 001, that was the last three from my military service number.
I always got in trouble because I would rattle off my rank, name and finish it off with "double 0 one"
I got the usual reply, your not f@$%ing james bond troop!

Rockwolf66 04-19-2010 04:36 AM

Well Al,
as far as information on films from your neck of the woods you are our #1 source of reliable information.

Bugabear 04-27-2010 03:39 AM

Mine came from a funny rpg I used to play. http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/...e_Bugbear_Pens. And I miss spelled it.

Nyles 04-27-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 12972)
Actually I mean usernames. NOT talking about actual titles. I mean like I go on an airsoft forum or a Video Game forum and every other user has a name like 'Death Master' or 'Sniper Master'. I wasn't talking about pros in the field who are given those titles. Usually the Master Armorer is the head dude, who overseas the other armorers. Weapons Master usually (thought not always) means the guy who not only provides the weapons, but does a lot of the on set training (and it refers A LOT to edged weapons experts as well as gun experts).

So No, I was talking about posers, not professionals :)

Couldn't agree more, that's just annoying as all hell.

Interesting point - the commander of the sniper det in a CF infantry battlion is known as the UMS - Unit Master Sniper. After seeing what ours can do with a .50 cal Big Mac I'm more than inclined to grant him the title.

Nyles has been my internet handle for about 12 years now. In joke from junior high. I keep using it out of habit.

Excalibur 04-28-2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 13300)
a .50 cal Big Mac.

That's what you guys call it?

S&Wshooter 04-28-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 13308)
That's what you guys call it?

It's because the .50 BMG is insanely deadly- and delicious:p

Excalibur 04-28-2010 08:46 PM

Who doesn't like a mouth full of Big Mac?

Rockwolf66 04-28-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 13319)
Who doesn't like a mouth full of Big Mac?

I personally don't like the tase.

An Aggie Anihilator now that is a great burger(it gets PETA's panties in a twist due to the ammount of meat in it too.).