imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sucker Punch (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1405)

Swordfish941 12-12-2010 11:59 PM

Sucker Punch

Who wants to see this film? It's like every teenage boy's dream come true: Guns, Girls, Ninjas, Robots, and Dragons. It all leads to one thing: Epicness.

Spades of Columbia 12-14-2010 01:18 AM

MAN!! i'm 27 and i still give a moment of silence everytime i see this trailer...which i have lost count of how many times i have seen this trialer.

Swordfish941 12-14-2010 04:04 AM

I now have a crush on Vanessa Hudgens. I no longer think of her as the "annoying High School Musical chick", but now as a "bad ass bitch with a MP5K".

MT2008 12-14-2010 01:44 PM

I'm hoping it'll be as awesome as the trailer makes it look, but "Watchmen" made me start to think Zack Snyder is kind of a one-trick pony (actually, I thought "300" was somewhat overrated. too). Still, this looks like my kinda movie, so I'll definitely check it out if the reviews aren't overwhelmingly negative.

S&Wshooter 12-14-2010 06:17 PM

I probably won't see it. It looks like it's going to be too weird for my tastes

MT2008 12-14-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 23110)
I probably won't see it. It looks like it's going to be too weird for my tastes

Fantasy-type movies in general are pretty weird, especially the kinds that Zack Snyder makes. Most people - myself included - see this kinda movie for the visuals and special effects (and the lead actresses, of course).

S&Wshooter 12-14-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 23114)
Fantasy-type movies in general are pretty weird, especially the kinds that Zack Snyder makes. Most people - myself included - see this kinda movie for the visuals and special effects (and the lead actresses, of course).

So THAT'S why movies nowadays are so bad - people only care about the visuals, special effects, and pretty lead actresses

MT2008 12-14-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 23117)
So THAT'S why movies nowadays are so bad - people only care about the visuals, special effects, and pretty lead actresses

"Nowadays"? Everyone knows that special effects and hotties sell movies. That's been intuitive to most cognizant people since cinema was invented. If that's news to you, then you've been living under a rock. :D

S&Wshooter 12-14-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 23119)
"Nowadays"? Everyone knows that special effects and hotties sell movies. That's been intuitive to most cognizant people since cinema was invented. If that's news to you, then you've been living under a rock. :D

Just think, without a ton of special effects most of the popular movies of the past decade would have failed miserably

S&Wshooter 12-14-2010 10:43 PM

Hopefully this movie is one of the few that combine good plot AND good special effects

MT2008 12-14-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 23120)
Just think, without a ton of special effects most of the popular movies of the past decade would have failed miserably

Probably. You think people went to see "Avatar" because of the green/eco-hippie messages? Or "The Dark Knight" for its psycho-babble that wouldn't pass a freshman-level sociology class? Just looking at the list of the highest grossing movies (here), I don't see many that aren't special effects-driven. I also don't see very many whose lead performances received Oscar nominations or wins (though obviously, "The Dark Knight" is an exception).

Are you being serious? Or are you just doing your usual teenage "holier-than-thou"/"nonconformist" thing again?

S&Wshooter 12-14-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 23122)
"wholier-than-thou"

Quote:

wholier
:confused:

MT2008 12-14-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 23123)
:confused:

Typo. Duh.

S&Wshooter 12-14-2010 10:57 PM

I could very easily start some shit right now, which would turn into a big deal, but I'd rather not derail another thread.

I'll probably this movie when Netflix picks it up. It looks fun

MT2008 12-14-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 23125)
I could very easily start some shit right now, which would turn into a big deal, but I'd rather not derail another thread.

I'll probably this movie when Netflix picks it up. It looks fun

And that's my point...sometimes, people watch movies just to have fun. I wouldn't have much respect for a person who thought "Avatar" was better than "The Godfather", but that doesn't mean I can't watch "Avatar" and enjoy it for what it is. Likewise, I may or may not enjoy "Sucker Punch" on the same terms.

Swordfish941 12-15-2010 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 23127)
I wouldn't have much respect for a person who thought "Avatar" was better than "The Godfather".

Comparing Avatar to The Godfather is like comparing 500 Days Of Summer to Annie Hall; both are good films, but one is better than the other.

Swordfish941 02-04-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 23106)
I'm hoping it'll be as awesome as the trailer makes it look, but "Watchmen" made me start to think Zack Snyder is kind of a one-trick pony.

We're just lucky that he's finally doing something original. And now I heard he's directing a new Superman film (Christopher Nolan is producing and Henry Cavill is playing Superman).

BeardedHoplite 02-04-2011 10:11 PM

Eh, too much CGI for me. I'll pick it up when it's in my local bargain DVD store.
That and I really don't care for Zack Snyder.

Swordfish941 02-05-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite (Post 25197)
That and I really don't care for Zack Snyder.

But you have to give the guy credit. He was able to adapt Watchmen where other directors like Terry Gilliam, Paul Greengrass, and Darren Aronofsky failed.

BeardedHoplite 02-05-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 25200)
But you have to give the guy credit. He was able to adapt Watchmen where other directors like Terry Gilliam, Paul Greengrass, and Darren Aronofsky failed.

I actually didn't like Watchmen, although I didn't see the director's cut. I would have liked to see Gilliam do it.

k9870 02-05-2011 05:22 PM

Ending blew, rest of the movie was good up to then.

MT2008 02-05-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 25200)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite (Post 25216)
I actually didn't like Watchmen, although I didn't see the director's cut. I would have liked to see Gilliam do it.

Neither did I. I actually got so bored that I stopped watching after an hour, and then watched the rest of it on a night when I was even more bored.

When I think about it, Snyder's entire reputation rests pretty much on two films so far - "Dawn of the Dead" and "300", and IMO, the latter is grossly overrated (even though I liked it the first time I saw it).

Swordfish941 02-05-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite (Post 25216)
I would have liked to see Gilliam do it.

If he would have done it, it would have been so epic our feeble minds wouldn't be able to handle the epicness.

MT2008 02-06-2011 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 25228)
If he would have done it, it would have been so epic our feeble minds wouldn't be able to handle the epicness.

Don't over-use the word "epic", especially when talking about movies. Otherwise, the "epicness" of the word is inherently diluted. ;)

S&Wshooter 02-06-2011 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 25258)
Don't over-use the word "epic", especially when talking about movies. Otherwise, the "epicness" of the word is inherently diluted. ;)

ANyone who uses "epic" more than 150 times before age 18 should not be allowed to breed. Tests scores would skyrocket after one generation

funkychinaman 02-06-2011 04:07 AM

I liked Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen. Unlike he gives us the Superman equivalent of "Batman and Robin," I think he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Swordfish941 02-06-2011 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 25264)
I liked Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen. Unlike he gives us the Superman equivalent of "Batman and Robin," I think he gets the benefit of the doubt.

That movie is a disgrace. Don't worry, Christopher Nolan is producing, so it has to be good.

Swordfish941 03-15-2011 03:51 AM

More news on the Superman movie. Viggo Mortensen is in talks to play General Zod (Viggo saying "Kneel before Zod!" would sound epic).

MoviePropMaster2008 03-26-2011 05:57 AM

Actually the movie was good, but NOT MY CUP OF TEA.

One of the problems is that the movie was CUT to be PG-13. Actually if the full R rated version ever gets released, we will not be so 'shielded' from the ugly reality that is going on in the 'real world' of the film.

Ugh. The battles were great, but the outer story (the real world) was a horrifying scenario. :(

k9870 03-26-2011 12:45 PM

waiting till netflix

MT2008 03-26-2011 04:03 PM

I just talked to somebody who saw it last night. They say it sucks, and not just because it's PG-13. Combined with the negative ratings on Metacritic (both from professional film critics and regular site users), and I think I'll need to pass on this one until BluRay.

This makes me wonder, though, if I'll go see any movies theatrically at all this year. Last year, I think I saw three movies in theaters total. Right now, I don't know what I'm looking forward to, because "Sucker Punch" and "Battle: Los Angeles" were the only movies I wanted to see.

k9870 03-26-2011 04:06 PM

Battle LA was great, altogether was entertaining and well filmed with awesome action. Now I have nothing to see until captain america.

Excalibur 03-26-2011 04:14 PM

Seriously, Sucker Puncher's action scenes were awesome, but the actual plot...not so much. And not even any character development.

MoviePropMaster2008 03-27-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 27082)
Seriously, Sucker Puncher's action scenes were awesome, but the actual plot...not so much. And not even any character development.

Actually I've changed my opinion on SuckerPunch. And I freely admit, I didn't get what Zack Snyder was going for, until I read some of the analysis. There are things I remember which I completely MISSED.

I think the film is akin to Fight Club, but only in that you understand it better after multiple viewings.

There is definitely a LOVE it or HATE it crowd. I'm in the center. I have mixed feelings about it.

Swordfish941 03-27-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 27112)
Actually I've changed my opinion on SuckerPunch. And I freely admit, I didn't get what Zack Snyder was going for, until I read some of the analysis. There are things I remember which I completely MISSED.

I think the film is akin to Fight Club, but only in that you understand it better after multiple viewings.

There is definitely a LOVE it or HATE it crowd. I'm in the center. I have mixed feelings about it.

I'm going to go see the movie and form my own opinion on it. F*ck critics.

Excalibur 03-27-2011 05:00 AM

Go ahead and see it. I ignored the critics and went to see it and now I got my own opinion.

BeardedHoplite 03-27-2011 05:21 AM

I'm in a WWI kick right now, but I already watched both All Quiet on the Western Front movies. So I might check it out just to see some chicks shoot incredibly anarchoristic (butchered that, eh?) guns at Huns.

But does anybody else think Zach Snyder's only good movie was Dawn of the Dead. Still want that Gilliam version of Watchman