imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I do not like these things. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1210)

BurtReynoldsMoustache 08-20-2010 11:18 PM

I do not like these things.

Cash only business: Nobody carries cash anymore, stop extorting an additional $2.00 in ATM fees for a $5.00 sandwich.

Bananas: They're too sweet and too mushy and the smell of them makes me gag.

k9870 08-20-2010 11:34 PM

+1 on cash only places, i have debit cards since cash is inconvienent.

Gunmaster45 08-21-2010 01:09 AM

Nobody carries cash anymore?! No wonder this country is so broke... :eek:

k9870 08-21-2010 01:16 AM

well why make frequent atm trips when you can just carry a little plastic card?

BurtReynoldsMoustache 08-21-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 17489)
well why make frequent atm trips when you can just carry a little plastic card?

Losing a wallet full of cash = fucked.

Losing a wallet full of cards = inconvenience.

k9870 08-21-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 17490)
Losing a wallet full of cash = fucked.

Losing a wallet full of cards = inconvenience.

Right On, although losing a drivers licence, military ID, and base access card could be considered fucked too

Excalibur 08-21-2010 03:05 AM

I'm sure everyone still carries cash in the area of Indiana where I work at, next to Gary. Only a small percentage of people give us cards. But on a few occasions that both cracks me up and pisses me off is when I deliver food to somebody and they just shove their cards in my face. Then I give them the "Are you fucking kidding me?" look or the "Do I look like a walking ATM?" look. So far in the past month of 4 separate encounters, people just hands me their credit or debit cards on the spot, like I'll swipe it in front of them with my imaginary machine.

S&Wshooter 08-21-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 17500)
I'm sure everyone still carries cash in the area of Indiana where I work at, next to Gary. Only a small percentage of people give us cards. But on a few occasions that both cracks me up and pisses me off is when I deliver food to somebody and they just shove their cards in my face. Then I give them the "Are you fucking kidding me?" look or the "Do I look like a walking ATM?" look. So far in the past month of 4 separate encounters, people just hands me their credit or debit cards on the spot, like I'll swipe it in front of them with my imaginary machine.

Are you a pizza guy?

Excalibur 08-21-2010 04:14 AM

Better, I'm a Chinese guy

S&Wshooter 08-21-2010 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 17510)
Better, I'm a Chinese guy

Nice. Get any free food? Chinese food is the shit

Excalibur 08-21-2010 04:24 AM

All the time. We make the best Chinese in the area. Of course, I always joke that it most isn't Chinese food, just food made by Chinese people. Seriously, 3/4 of the food on the menu aren't authentic Chinese dishes.

S&Wshooter 08-21-2010 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 17513)
All the time. We make the best Chinese in the area. Of course, I always joke that it most isn't Chinese food, just food made by Chinese people. Seriously, 3/4 of the food on the menu aren't authentic Chinese dishes.

Lucky bastard. I'd totally work at a chinese place, but the only decent places around here are family run and only hire relatives

Excalibur 08-21-2010 04:51 AM

That's pretty much how I got into this. Family run. And sometimes we hire out to people that aren't Asian mostly for the delivery guy or waiter, but since we're a bit cheap for employing, it's best to hire family cause we apparently work for cheap.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 08-21-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 17500)

You're supposed to ask them if they want to pay cash or card when they call in their order and take their card information over the phone.

funkychinaman 08-21-2010 02:37 PM

Yes, but even delivery places can do plastic now, the delivery guy just brings the receipt for the purchaser to sign.

I went to New Hope, PA, two weeks ago, which is a little quaint tourist trap on the Delaware, only with bikers and hippies. Almost nobody took cash. Understandably, the guy running the parking lot didn't, as he was just one guy in the open, but a lot of the mom and pop stores didn't take it either, despite the fact that some of the stuff was pretty expensive. I know there are extra fees, but given the cash-less society today, they're losing business.

There are tons of Chinese people in New Jersey, and the rule on Chinese restaurants for me is, the more Chinese people actually eating there, the better. (So not PF Chang's.)

BurtReynoldsMoustache 08-21-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 17525)
(So not PF Chang's.)

PF Changs is actually pretty good.

funkychinaman 08-21-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 17526)
PF Changs is actually pretty good.

It's what Olive Garden is to Italians. I thought it was pretty good too, but I don't know if I'd call it good Chinese food.

S&Wshooter 08-21-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 17530)
It's what Olive Garden is to Italians. I thought it was pretty good too, but I don't know if I'd call it good Chinese food.

After eating at a real Italian place, I can no longer eat Olive Garden without feeling ripped off

Jcordell 08-21-2010 06:29 PM

My last unit assignment before I got out of the U.S. Army was the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum, New York. The city of Watertown was approximately six miles to the south. There was a little Chinese resturant there. The chef was the owner. The place was a dive (just a hole in the wall), but the food was amazing. The owner had been a cook at a Chinese restaraunt in Chinatown in Boston. There was always a couple old (Chinese) codgers hanging out reading Chinese language newspapers, smoking and playing dominoes.

I didn't realize until we left Ft. Drum that we were getting some great Chinese food there. Never had anything that good since.

Excalibur 08-21-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 17522)
You're supposed to ask them if they want to pay cash or card when they call in their order and take their card information over the phone.

Look, even if that's the standard question on pretty much all phone call orders, it's obvious that if YOU want to use your card, you'd tell the guy taking your order than him asking or he'll assume you got cash. I've worked at this place since I was in 8th grade and even today we actually never ask cash or card over the phone for some reason And 99.99% of the time they actually shoves a card in my face when I bring them their food, for years, people just tell us up front that they are using a card after we told them their total, so it's a habit for us.

And if you think about it, most people who ARE planning on using their card would say so anyway because if you use your brains, you'd wonder how are you going to use your card if you DON'T tell them over the phone. Unless these guys that HAS been shoving their cards in my face has encountered a delivery guy with a portable card machine to swipe.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 08-21-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 17535)
Look, even if that's the standard question on pretty much all phone call orders, it's obvious that if YOU want to use your card, you'd tell the guy taking your order than him asking or he'll assume you got cash.

Consumers are retarded, and it is actually considered good customer service to treat them that way.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 08-21-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 17530)

That's not a fair comparison at all. Olive Garden is crap. Buca Di Beppo would be a better comparison; inauthentic, overpriced, and still pretty good. Olive Garden is to Italian food what Red Lobster is to sea food; passably palatable.

Zulu Two Six 09-20-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juli888 (Post 19310)
And I very much like bananas from the automatic machine.

What. The. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!???!?!?!?!?!?

Rockwolf66 09-20-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulu Two Six (Post 19323)
What. The. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!???!?!?!?!?!?

It Smells like an automated bot. Hopefully it gets nuked for orbit.

S&Wshooter 09-20-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juli888 (Post 19310)
And I very much like bananas from the automatic machine.

Lucky. I can't eat bananas or my kidney starts hurting

Markost 09-21-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 19327)
It Smells like an automated bot. Hopefully it gets nuked for orbit.

You´re wrong Rockwolf, it´s just a severe case of Engrish.

Excalibur 09-21-2010 02:41 AM

Even in English, it doesn't make sense.

k9870 09-21-2010 02:50 AM

I hate people who text while driving. Too many times almost getting hit.

Excalibur 09-21-2010 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 19353)
I hate people who text while driving. Too many times almost getting hit.

I can understand talking while driving since you can still use your hands to drive and your eyes, but texting while driving is just stupid. You don't take your eye off the road for a second.

funkychinaman 09-21-2010 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 19354)
I can understand talking while driving since you can still use your hands to drive and your eyes, but texting while driving is just stupid. You don't take your eye off the road for a second.

Last year, I saw a kid on a motorcycle texting while riding on the interstate. Right hand on the throttle, going 65, left hand on the phone, looking down the whole time. It was unbelievable.

Spartan198 09-22-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 19354)

Yeah, I can't understand how someone can equate those two, either. It's like comparing a pillow fight to a knife fight and claiming both are just as dangerous.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-23-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 19504)
Yeah, I can't understand how someone can equate those two, either. It's like comparing a pillow fight to a knife fight and claiming both are just as dangerous.

They did a study that showed driving while talking on a cell phone can be just as hazardous as driving while drunk. So what if you can drive and talk just fine at the same time? Lots of people can drive drunk just fine, too. Doesn't make it right.

Zulu Two Six 09-23-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 19511)
They did a study that showed driving while talking on a cell phone can be just as hazardous as driving while drunk. So what if you can drive and talk just fine at the same time? Lots of people can drive drunk just fine, too. Doesn't make it right.

my friend was killed saturday coming home from the auburn game by a drunk driver, t'boned her car, her friend emily was a passenger and is still alive. the funeral was today. just thought i might throw that important note out there

Spartan198 09-23-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 19511)

"Studies" like that are full of bullshit.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-23-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 19593)
"Studies" like that are full of bullshit.

Please, go on, enlighten us with your vast knowledge of the scientific method.

k9870 09-23-2010 05:41 PM

There are hands free devices like a bluetooth, if the call is so damned important invest in one. Most calls can wait till your home.

Spartan198 09-24-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 19599)
Please, go on, enlighten us with your vast knowledge of the scientific method.

It's actually so simple a cave man could do it: Talk with your mouth, not your hands and eyes. It's no different than talking to a person in the seat next to you. Or should that be outlawed, too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 19601)
There are hands free devices like a bluetooth, if the call is so damned important invest in one. Most calls can wait till your home.

Most of them suck, even the big name brands. Nobody can hear you on the other side.

S&Wshooter 09-24-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 19657)

Most of them suck, even the big name brands. Nobody can hear you on the other side.

So it's like having a Blackberry stuck to your head, but without the you-can't-hear-the-other-person-either?

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-25-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 19657)
It's actually so simple a cave man could do it: Talk with your mouth, not your hands and eyes. It's no different than talking to a person in the seat next to you. Or should that be outlawed, too?

Just because you can do it just fine doesn't mean the majority of the population can do it too. If they could, there wouldn't be a problem. Also, it is different from talking to a person next to you because it blocks off part of your peripheral vision and occupies one of your hands, giving you less control over the steering wheel. Unless you're one of those people who drives with your head kinked over your shoulder to hold the phone, which is even more stupid and dangerous.

Like I said, some people can drive smashed off their asses on 8 different kinds of pixie dust and a liter of goldschlager and get by just fine. Does not mean everyone can, does not mean a majority of people can, does not mean that it's a good idea for you even if you can do it.

And saying "Pshh it's easy, I do it all the time, fuckin' cavemen yadda yadda" does not at all disprove any peer reviewed study that yields findings to the contrary.

Spartan198 09-25-2010 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 19661)
So it's like having a Blackberry stuck to your head, but without the you-can't-hear-the-other-person-either?

Yeah, pretty much. At least the person I'm talking to can hear me. Last headset I had, I could scream into it at the top of my lungs and still not have the other person hear me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 19666)
Just because you can do it just fine doesn't mean the majority of the population can do it too. If they could, there wouldn't be a problem.

Just like how drugs wouldn't be a problem if they were legal? :rolleyes: You really must be POI because only a dumbass like him would chastise me for using my phone in the car while at the same time supporting complete legalization of illegal narcotics.

Quote:

Also, it is different from talking to a person next to you because it blocks off part of your peripheral vision and occupies one of your hands, giving you less control over the steering wheel.
My peripheral vision isn't affected when I'm on the phone because my eyes are in the front on my skull, not inside my ears. I also have no problem maintaining control over my car with one hand because that's the way I was taught to drive since I was 10. I can swing the wheel in multiple circles in either direction with one hand quite easily.

Quote:

Unless you're one of those people who drives with your head kinked over your shoulder to hold the phone, which is even more stupid and dangerous.
See above response.

Quote:

Like I said, some people can drive smashed off their asses on 8 different kinds of pixie dust and a liter of goldschlager and get by just fine.
Good for them. Does that mean a majority of people should go to jail for driving sober because one person drove drunk, then?

Quote:

Does not mean everyone can, does not mean a majority of people can, does not mean that it's a good idea for you even if you can do it.
So I guess it's a bad idea for me to do things like math because not everybody can? Maybe I should go everywhere in a wheelchair because not everyone can walk?

Quote:

And saying "Pshh it's easy, I do it all the time, fuckin' cavemen yadda yadda" does not at all disprove any peer reviewed study that yields findings to the contrary.
Unlike you, my mouth, eyes, and hands function independent of each other. For example, I'm typing this response to you while watching Law & Order and having a conversation with my sister about how silly your logic behind statements like "drugs wouldn't be a problem if they were legal" is.

FYI, I never took part in any of these so-called studies, so none of them reflect me or my driving abilities. I represent me, not any "majority".