imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OK, educate me here regarding pistols and the US military. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1242)

Clutch 09-02-2010 10:12 PM

OK, educate me here regarding pistols and the US military.

One thing I've never fully understood about the military is why only officers above a certain rank (Sergeant, I believe, though I might be wrong) are issued the M9/92FS or M11/P228. Don't all recruits and trainees go through weapons familarization and training with handguns and rifles/carbines alike? And if so, then why not issue them those weapons from the start, especially if they're going to be sent into a combat zone? Or do they and I'm just reading wrongly into things here?

funkychinaman 09-02-2010 10:38 PM

A buddy of mine who enlisted in the army during the mid-nineties did say they were taught how to use the M9 at boot camp.

AdAstra2009 09-02-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch (Post 18415)
One thing I've never fully understood about the military is why only officers above a certain rank (Sergeant, I believe, though I might be wrong) are issued the M9/92FS or M11/P228. Don't all recruits and trainees go through weapons familarization and training with handguns and rifles/carbines alike? And if so, then why not issue them those weapons from the start, especially if they're going to be sent into a combat zone? Or do they and I'm just reading wrongly into things here?

It depends on what your Military Occupational Specialty is. I'm straight up Infantry and when I went to boot the only thing we were taught about the M9 is that it sucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch (Post 18415)
(Sergeant, I believe, though I might be wrong)

nope... the issuance of a sidearm doesn't have anything to do with rank really, more with your position.

P.S. Sergeant's aren't officers, they're enlisted

Nyles 09-03-2010 12:44 AM

In the Canadian military, pistols are issued to infantry officers, signallers, MPs, aircrew and naval boarding parties. Overseas they often issue them to people who are working mostly on a large base so they can fulfill the requirement for always being armed without constantly carrying around a rifle.

Clutch 09-03-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 18420)
It depends on what your Military Occupational Specialty is. I'm straight up Infantry and when I went to boot the only thing we were taught about the M9 is that it sucks.

nope... the issuance of a sidearm doesn't have anything to do with rank really, more with your position.

P.S. Sergeant's aren't officers, they're enlisted

OK...so if you're a front-line infantry soldier, then you're getting a M9 and M4/M16, regardless of whether you're enlisted or NCO?

Nyles 09-03-2010 03:53 AM

Generally no. Infantry don't really have much use for pistols, it's just one more thing they have to carry when they have too much already. The purpose of infantry is to close with and destroy the enemy, pistols aren't very useful for that.

Excalibur 09-03-2010 05:18 AM

And not all infantry would get the M4.

MoviePropMaster2008 09-03-2010 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 18437)
In the Canadian military, pistols are issued to infantry officers, signallers, MPs, aircrew and naval boarding parties. Overseas they often issue them to people who are working mostly on a large base so they can fulfill the requirement for always being armed without constantly carrying around a rifle.

You do realize that the OP specifically asked about the U.S. Military, right? :) Though interesting, answers based on the Canadian military will be confusing. From what I've gleaned over the years, there are tons of little details that are different and very specific to the country and it's military.

Nyles 09-03-2010 02:05 PM

Well, based on my fairly extensive experience working with the US Army, the scale of issues for pistols is pretty much the same. The only US infanteers I saw carrying pistols in Afghanistan were commissioned officers.

Markost 09-03-2010 02:46 PM

In our army the pistols are issued to sub-officers, commandos and second line troops.

Joker6686 09-03-2010 03:17 PM

is it allowed in the US military to carry a sidearm, if you bought it yourself and it is your own? or is it against military regularities. i ask that, because i saw a documentary about a group of Green Berets in Afghanistan and they all we're carrying different sidearms ( but maybe because they are Special Forces )

In germany it is not allowed to bring your own weapon, but it would be cool to serve with your own sidearm :) i remember myself, we had the G3 as standard rifle and the P38 as a sidearm, we were one of the last units, they do not have the G36 and the P8. I allways wanted so shoot the G36 and the P8, but mostly i wanted to bring my Sig.

Edit: Wasn't the P38, it was the P1.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-03-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joker6686 (Post 18464)
is it allowed in the US military to carry a sidearm, if you bought it yourself and it is your own? or is it against military regularities. i ask that, because i saw a documentary about a group of Green Berets in Afghanistan and they all we're carrying different sidearms ( but maybe because they are Special Forces )

In germany it is not allowed to bring your own weapon, but it would be cool to serve with your own sidearm :) i remember myself, we had the G3 as standard rifle and the P38 as a sidearm, we were one of the last units, they do not have the G36 and the P8. I allways wanted so shoot the G36 and the P8, but mostly i wanted to bring my Sig.

What years did you serve?

Joker6686 09-03-2010 04:37 PM

I served in 2006 at the 3./WachBtl BMVg stationed in Siegburg/Bonn.
We only shot with the P8 at the so called AGASP ( in german it's called Schießkino = shootcinema )

The weapon we used the most time was the Mauser K98k :)

Sorry i have to correct myself, we didnt shoot the P38, we shot the the P1.

AdAstra2009 09-03-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joker6686 (Post 18464)

I can't speak for the "Green Berets" ,however there is some Army Regulation against using personally owned weapons.

funkychinaman 09-03-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joker6686 (Post 18468)
I served in 2006 at the 3./WachBtl BMVg stationed in Siegburg/Bonn.
We only shot with the P8 at the so called AGASP ( in german it's called Schießkino = shootcinema )

The weapon we used the most time was the Mauser K98k :)

Sorry i have to correct myself, we didnt shoot the P38, we shot the the P1.

Wow, they still had P1s as late as 2006?

Mandolin1 09-03-2010 05:36 PM

Aren't the P38 and P1 identical? If not, what's the difference?

Joker6686 09-03-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 18470)
Wow, they still had P1s as late as 2006?

As i heard today they still have :D They didn't replace all G3s oder P1s.

The difference between the P38 and the P1 is afaik not a really big one, in case the P1 is a modificated p38, but the P38 has a steel grip and the P1 a grip made of lightmetal

funkychinaman 09-03-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 18469)
I can't speak for the "Green Berets" ,however there is some Army Regulation against using personally owned weapons.

I know back in the day officers were expected to purchase their own sidearms. Patton was famous for his ivory-gripped pistols, and even Eugene Sledge (from The Pacific) had his personal Colt New Service. I wonder when that rule came into effect and how serious enforcement is in the field.

Jcordell 09-03-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 18474)
I know back in the day officers were expected to purchase their own sidearms. Patton was famous for his ivory-gripped pistols, and even Eugene Sledge (from The Pacific) had his personal Colt New Service. I wonder when that rule came into effect and how serious enforcement is in the field.

In the past couple of years we've hired some vets who have served in Iraq, Afghanistan and both. The prohibition on personal firearms is very strict and it is enforced - at least in the United States Army. Times have changed since WWII. Hell they've changed since Vietnam.

Spartan198 09-03-2010 11:47 PM

Delta shooters are allowed to use their own personal sidearms, at least according to Eric Haney's book.

S&Wshooter 09-04-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 18488)
Delta shooters are allowed to use their own personal sidearms, at least according to Eric Haney's book.

I believe they are supposed to go out and buy a 1911 and the gov't reimburses them

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-04-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 18488)

Some guy told me Delta operators are allowed to carry any kind of loaded firearm on commercial flights.

Nyles 09-04-2010 12:33 AM

Yeah, there's alot of that "some guy said" or "everyone knows" when it comes to military sidearms, espescially with SOF, but alot of it is just internet stories.

No western army is going to allow it's line troops carry something that's not standard-issue, that is a logistic and legal nightmare. The only SOF organizations I've ever worked with were SAS, US SEALS and Canadian groups I'd rather not name. They all had P226s, and they were all issued.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-04-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 18493)
Yeah, there's alot of that "some guy said" or "everyone knows" when it comes to military sidearms, espescially with SOF, but alot of it is just internet stories.

No western army is going to allow it's line troops carry something that's not standard-issue, that is a logistic and legal nightmare. The only SOF organizations I've ever worked with were SAS, US SEALS and Canadian groups I'd rather not name. They all had P226s, and they were all issued.

Living in fear of the big bad Canadians are we?

S&Wshooter 09-04-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 18493)

That's because the P226 is fucking awesome

funkychinaman 09-04-2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joker6686 (Post 18473)
As i heard today they still have :D They didn't replace all G3s oder P1s.

The difference between the P38 and the P1 is afaik not a really big one, in case the P1 is a modificated p38, but the P38 has a steel grip and the P1 a grip made of lightmetal

I've got a weird P38. It obviously has the alloy slide, but it's stamped P38.

Excalibur 09-04-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 18491)
Some guy told me Delta operators are allowed to carry any kind of loaded firearm on commercial flights.

And just how do you think they get pass security and metal detectors at the airports? Do they just wave a badge that saids, I'm spec ops and yes I got a gun.

Nyles 09-04-2010 01:35 AM

Post-war commercial guns with the alloy frame were still marked P.38, military / police production was marked P1.

And I don't reference the Canadian groups by name because I'm in the Canadian military and I actually care about OPSEC. It's in the public domain that Canadian SOF uses the P226, so I'll say that, but what units I worked with and when I did it doesn't need to be on IMFDB.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 09-04-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 18500)
And just how do you think they get pass security and metal detectors at the airports? Do they just wave a badge that saids, I'm spec ops and yes I got a gun.

I asked him and that was literally his answer.

Rockwolf66 09-04-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 18504)
I asked him and that was literally his answer.

He sounds alot like I guy I know who claims to have worked Marine Intelligence in Somalia. His stories have lots of nice big holes in it that I could drive a LAV-25 through. Stuff like as intelligence he went out to personally figure out where the Warlords Commo shacks were or that he personally confirmed that warload leadership was meeting so that Airsupport could waste the lot of them....Well the warlord leadership thing happened but his details are well off from what is publically available.

Bugabear 09-04-2010 04:22 PM

I thought Delta people just go through the VIP security? The one with no metal detectors.

And my understanding of sidearms was that it they were issued out regardless of your position in case your main weapon failed.

Mandolin1 09-04-2010 06:56 PM

If Delta officially "doesn't exist" (despite the entire world knowing better), why would they reveal themselves to airport security? Who would believe them? Are we going to start handing out Delta Force badges? They are military, so Posse Commitus (or however you say it) applies and they have no legal authority. it's nonsense. Besides, they travel inconspicuously. Going through VIP (what is that anyway? I though FBI types and the crew just showed their badge to the TSA guys and walked through.) attracts attention. waving a long-hair guy in civilian clothes through makes people curious

AdAstra2009 09-04-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugabear (Post 18511)
And my understanding of sidearms was that it they were issued out regardless of your position in case your main weapon failed.

Nope, that's why you should be proficient in clearing stoppages in your weapon. If your Rifle fails you just yell "weapon down" or "black" depending on your unit SOP and your team-members cover you until you get your weapon back up.

zzang1847 09-07-2010 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugabear (Post 18511)
I thought Delta people just go through the VIP security? The one with no metal detectors.

Delta Force officially "DON'T EXIST" in U.S Army, according to themselves. Just some fool politicians didn't really care about the reason why they had to hide these SOF's identity at the conference, and that's why we can now walk about special forces called "DELTA FORCE".

I wouldn't try to argue about whether they are able to carry weapon inside airplane, and nobody gives a damn about the chance they will go crazy and start shooting at the people, ending up crushing themselves in white house, but there is no way anyone without any kinds of authorization from both airliner and central command center for airplanes (i don't know what they call it, but there are some places for commanding planes), not even president cannot carry weapon.

P.S) Exception for Airforce One may apply

When your main weapon jam or fail to fire, the first thing you have to do is reloading the weapon, not pulling out sidearm in order to kill the enemy. The best way is pull out used magazine, pull the charging handle, empty the chamber, put in new mag, and start shooting at all over the place. Pulling out of sidearm instead of cleaning out your MW means you're in some serious shit.

k9870 09-07-2010 11:44 AM

Fed agencies like marshals, fbi, ice, can all carry on planes. Im sure delta would be able to get an exemption.

Excalibur 09-07-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzang1847 (Post 18660)
When your main weapon jam or fail to fire, the first thing you have to do is reloading the weapon, not pulling out sidearm in order to kill the enemy. The best way is pull out used magazine, pull the charging handle, empty the chamber, put in new mag, and start shooting at all over the place. Pulling out of sidearm instead of cleaning out your MW means you're in some serious shit.

The point of a sidearm is that you have a backup weapon in the event your primary weapon does fail and you DONT have the precious seconds to do "tap, rack, bang". If all you have is one primary weapon and nothing for backup, then you'd take cover. You also did the process wrong.

If your primary weapon fails to fire, you don't take out the mag first. You lock the bolt back, then you strip the magazine, if that didn't already fix the problem, you look inside to see the problem to see if it is a double feed or if the bullet is jammed in there. If it is jammed in there, you have to physically pick it out. Otherwise, you rack the charging handle a couple times until the jam clears. Then you reinsert a topped mag and power stroke the charging handle one time and fire. That's for double feeds.

If it's just a simple bad round, you just tap the mag, rack the charging handle and then fire.

zzang1847 09-07-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 18679)
The point of a sidearm is that you have a backup weapon in the event your primary weapon does fail and you DONT have the precious seconds to do "tap, rack, bang". If all you have is one primary weapon and nothing for backup, then you'd take cover. You also did the process wrong.

If your primary weapon fails to fire, you don't take out the mag first. You lock the bolt back, then you strip the magazine, if that didn't already fix the problem, you look inside to see the problem to see if it is a double feed or if the bullet is jammed in there. If it is jammed in there, you have to physically pick it out. Otherwise, you rack the charging handle a couple times until the jam clears. Then you reinsert a topped mag and power stroke the charging handle one time and fire. That's for double feeds.

If it's just a simple bad round, you just tap the mag, rack the charging handle and then fire.

1. I was mentioning about dropping a mag when if the whole mag goes wrong or mag is being suspicious(like spring goes wrong, etc). I know that i wouldn't pull out whole mag and dump it only because of double feed. That's waste of ammo, and also stupid action in battlefield.

2. When i said "Pulling out of sidearm instead of cleaning out your MW means you're in some serious shit", that means you're in tough fight when you have to pull out sidearm instead of trying to solve the malfunction because it means that you don't have reaction time of cleaning your main weapon, but still needs to have a working gun on your hands. I don't think that pulling out of sidearm in range of 300 meters from enemy when your main weapon fails to fire. Maybe i should've mentioned about range condition first :)

Mandolin1 09-07-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Fed agencies like Marshals, FBI, ICE, can all carry on planes. I'm sure Delta would be able to get an exemption.
If Delta, why not SEALs? Force Recon?, Ranger? Green Berets? Where do you draw the line? Delta can't, because they are military and have no authority (aside from the "i have a gun, you don't" bit). I'm sure letting them carry would violate Posse Comitatus(like I mentioned earlier) Here's Wikipedia, the all-knowing Internet God of Truth, accuracy, and The American Way, says:
Quote:

The Act prohibits most members of the federal uniformed services (today the Army, Navy, Air Force, and State National Guard forces when such are called into federal service) from exercising nominally state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order" on non-federal property (states and their counties and municipal divisions) within the United States.

The statute generally prohibits federal military personnel and units of the National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress. The Coast Guard is exempt from the Act.

Quote:

The original Posse Comitatus Act referred essentially to the United States Army. The Air Force was added in 1956 and the Navy and the Marine Corps have been included by a regulation of the Department of Defense. The United States Coast Guard, when acting in its peacetime capacity, is not included in the Act... However, if, in wartime, a portion of the Coast Guard were subsumed within the Department of the Navy, as it was during World War II, that portion would lose its federal police power authority and responsibility over the federal law-enforcement duties of its civilian mission. This law is often relied upon to prevent the Department of Defense from interfering in domestic law enforcement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act.

So Delta can't because they are DOD, not DOJ. Any questions? let's get back to the original topic.

AdAstra2009 09-07-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 18679)

That's not what sidearms are for in the United States Military;(excluding any Spec-Ops who you could be right about for all I know). Like others have said before the purpose of sidearms primarily is to arm those who aren't likely to see combat but still have a need to be armed, but don't need to be encumbered by carrying a rifle around all the time.

Like I said before if your weapon goes down you take a knee and yell weapon down so another squad-mate will cover your sector while you fix your weapon.

Mazryonh 09-08-2010 01:45 AM

I remember reading once how "pistols are among the hardest kinds of firearms to aim, thanks to how many lack a buttstock, another full place to grip with the off-hand, and the short sight radius," so it's not a surprise that rifle form is emphasized first in the regular Army.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 18420)
I'm straight up Infantry and when I went to boot the only thing we were taught about the M9 is that it sucks.

So, what would it take to make the first steps towards replacing the M9 with something like the Glock 20? Same magazine capacity of 15 rounds, much better stopping power in FMJ, flatter bullet trajectories and better range, along with more compact options (such as the Glock 20SF, the Glock 29, or even a Glock 29SF) should the need arise for those with hands too small.