imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lame (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1093)

MT2008 06-08-2010 08:26 PM

Lame

I just started my new job yesterday, and it turns out that the company has content control software that prohibits employees from accessing sites with stuff like profanity, or...well, firearms. Long story short, I can't access IMFDB for eight hours of the day, even when I bring my own computer to work.

So if anyone's wondering, I didn't die or anything, but I probably won't be able to get on here very much this summer. And I had projects I planned to work on. :( :mad:

k9870 06-08-2010 08:40 PM

Anonymizers, proxys, type imfdb.org/forum.nyud.net:8090, all the high school tricks help

Alcatrazz 06-08-2010 09:18 PM

If they find you pulling that shit, you might be fired.

S&Wshooter 06-08-2010 10:14 PM

Welcome to my world circa August-June 4, from 6:30 AM to 3:20 PM

Excalibur 06-09-2010 01:52 AM

What kind of job gives you free time to go online on a computer. It's not like if I'm a cop, while I'm waiting for speeders, I can pop out my PSP and play Tekken.

Kinzer 06-09-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 14256)
What kind of job gives you free time to go online on a computer. It's not like if I'm a cop, while I'm waiting for speeders, I can pop out my PSP and play Tekken.

I don't think that's really a fair comparison. Cops need to be on alert at all times when they're working. Where as someone like my brother, who works as a movie theater projectionist and has a lot of free time, is able to use his computer at work.

Excalibur 06-09-2010 02:29 PM

ok fine, when I worked in fast foods, you have no time to sit down and take a breath, much less get a computer to turn on. You are constantly on your feet when you work at a burger king. I guess like an office job maybe

S&Wshooter 06-09-2010 03:15 PM

I'm working right now! Of course my "job" is to wear a little meter that logs what I watch and sends it to a TV ratings company

Spartan198 06-09-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 14265)
I'm working right now! Of course my "job" is to wear a little meter that logs what I watch and sends it to a TV ratings company

Interesting job.

S&Wshooter 06-09-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 14269)
Interesting job.

Not really. Anywho.... [/thread drift]

k9870 06-09-2010 05:15 PM

pay good SW?

S&Wshooter 06-09-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 14274)
pay good SW?

Hell no. $30 on average

k9870 06-09-2010 05:24 PM

what?per week?

Swordfish941 06-09-2010 05:25 PM

The only thing that's close to a job that I've ever done is mowing my grandparent's lawn. To make things worse, it's hotter than hell outside. The pay's good, though.

S&Wshooter 06-09-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 14276)
what?per week?

Month. I'm trying to get a real job, but no one is hiring

Jcordell 06-09-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 14256)

Hey I resemble that remark. :D

S&Wshooter 06-09-2010 05:42 PM

What kind of job do you have anyways, MT2008?

MT2008 06-09-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 14280)
What kind of job do you have anyways, MT2008?

I work for the political action committee of a biotech firm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 14262)
ok fine, when I worked in fast foods, you have no time to sit down and take a breath, much less get a computer to turn on. You are constantly on your feet when you work at a burger king. I guess like an office job maybe

I haven't worked in that kind of job since I was in high school. Working at a desk in front of a computer is pretty much all I ever do (and yes, it sucks, but this isn't my career...at least I hope not).

I'm also a graduate student, so in the last year, I pretty much lived at a desk in the library with my own laptop for companionship (that's how I was able to spend so much time on here). But I'm almost done with my coursework, which means that next semester, I'll only be a part-time student (only taking two classes). Since I wasn't able to get a grant, I decided to get a job while I write my thesis on the side.

S&Wshooter 06-09-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 14308)
I work for the political action committee of a biotech firm.

I haven't worked in that kind of job since I was in high school. Working at a desk in front of a computer is pretty much all I ever do (and yes, it sucks, but this isn't my career...at least I hope not).

I'm also a graduate student, so in the last year, I pretty much lived at a desk in the library with my own laptop for companionship (that's how I was able to spend so much time on here). But I'm almost done with my coursework, which means that next semester, I'll only be a part-time student (only taking two classes). Since I wasn't able to get a grant, I decided to get a job while I write my thesis on the side.

You're still in college, right? What are you aiming to become?

MT2008 06-09-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 14309)
You're still in college, right? What are you aiming to become?

Nope, I'm a graduate student. Finished college two years ago (I first discovered IMFDB when I was unemployed and bored after graduation).

My Master's will be in international relations, and I want to be an intelligence analyst. Though I've already gotten used to the idea that I might have to settle for something less exciting (like what I do now).

S&Wshooter 06-09-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 14311)
Nope, I'm a graduate student. Finished college two years ago (I first discovered IMFDB when I was unemployed and bored after graduation).

My Master's will be in international relations, and I want to be an intelligence analyst. Though I've already gotten used to the idea that I might have to settle for something less exciting (like what I do now).

I'm going to try to be a Lawyer of some sort (definitely not a trial lawyer though). If that doesn't work, I'm probably going to end up working for my father's company (AKA busting my ass doing refinery turnaround)

Swordfish941 06-10-2010 12:00 AM

Here's what I'm going to do if my writing career fails: I'm going to step in front of cars and sue the drivers.

MT2008 06-10-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 14312)
I'm going to try to be a Lawyer of some sort (definitely not a trial lawyer though). If that doesn't work, I'm probably going to end up working for my father's company (AKA busting my ass doing refinery turnaround)

Eh, if you want my advise...think carefully before even considering going to law school.

I'm the son of a lawyer. I used to want to go to law school myself; I even interned at a law firm after I graduated. And I have several friends in law school now. I've been around lawyers and law students long enough to know that it basically means selling your soul for tedious bullshit. Unless your overarching goal in life is financial stability (and even that's not assured in this economy), or you genuinely love the practice, you really don't want to be a lawyer.

S&Wshooter 06-10-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 14313)
Here's what I'm going to do if my writing career fails: I'm going to step in front of cars and sue the drivers.

Have fun being crippled

MT2008 06-10-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 14313)

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 14315)
Have fun being crippled

...what Smithy said.

Anyway, I wanted to be a writer at one point myself (I used to write for my college's newspaper). It's another career option I don't recommend unless you excel at it. I know people who graduated Summa Cum Laude from the English program and interned at countless publications, and they were unemployed after college for much longer than I was.

Markost 06-10-2010 12:20 AM

Looks like everybody hate their jobs. Well, guess what, next year IŽll be teaching history at a local high school. How bad could it be?

MT2008 06-10-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markost (Post 14318)
Looks like everybody hate their jobs. Well, guess what, next year IŽll be teaching history at a local high school. How bad could it be?

Eh, doesn't sound so bad. Sometimes, I wonder if I should be teaching.

Anyway, I think most people hate their jobs, or don't particularly care for what they do.

S&Wshooter 06-10-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 14319)
Eh, doesn't sound so bad. Sometimes, I wonder if I should be teaching.

Anyway, I think most people hate their jobs, or don't particularly care for what they do.

This about sums it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrSVkTRb24

MT2008 06-10-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 14320)

I've always liked this one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNgJBIx-hK8

Anyway, yes, work sucks. My advise to those of y'all who are still in high school is: Stop bitching about how much homework you have, or getting depressed that some girl you like doesn't like you back. The reason I say this is because: (1.) college will be the best time of your life, and (2.) life after college sucks so badly that your high school grievances will seem extremely trivial in retrospect.

Swordfish941 06-10-2010 01:02 AM

Oh dear God! Not the David Matthews Band!

MT2008 06-10-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 14322)
Oh dear God! Not the David Matthews Band!

Not a fan, but I do like that song.

S&Wshooter 06-10-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 14321)
I've always liked this one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNgJBIx-hK8

Anyway, yes, work sucks. My advise to those of y'all who are still in high school is: Stop bitching about how much homework you have, or getting depressed that some girl you like doesn't like you back. The reason I say this is because: (1.) college will be the best time of your life, and (2.) life after college sucks so badly that your high school grievances will seem extremely trivial in retrospect.

I NEVER have homework other than projects that take a few weeks to complete

S&Wshooter 06-10-2010 01:09 AM

The Dave Matthews band sucks.

Listen to some real music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP0_MNj8f1Q

BTW, the video for this is really well made, so watch it all the way to the end

Swordfish941 06-10-2010 01:11 AM

What's with you and that german band?

S&Wshooter 06-10-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 14326)
What's with you and that german band?

They don't suck

Swordfish941 06-10-2010 01:16 AM

I'm not saying that they suck.

MT2008 06-10-2010 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 14324)
I NEVER have homework other than projects that take a few weeks to complete

That seems kinda wrong. I worked hard as hell in high school (took seven AP classes by the time I graduated), though I also went to a school that's notoriously competitive. I remember being stressed out trying to balance my homework with track and playing "Counter-Strike" (eventually, I quit the team when I decided that playing CS was more important :D ).

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 14325)
The Dave Matthews band sucks.

Listen to some real music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP0_MNj8f1Q

BTW, the video for this is really well made, so watch it all the way to the end

I have listened to Rammstein before, though I've never been a huge fan. In high school, I listened mostly to NIN, Ministry, KMFDM, and Prodigy.

Anyway, I still like "Ants Marching" even if I'm not a DMB fan.

S&Wshooter 06-10-2010 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 14329)
That seems kinda wrong. I worked hard as hell in high school (took seven AP classes by the time I graduated), though I also went to a school that's notoriously competitive. I remember being stressed out trying to balance my homework with track and playing "Counter-Strike" (eventually, I quit the team when I decided that playing "CS" was more important :D ).

Try doing 4 major projects at the same time, all due on the same day, when you have to go do work at the woods (Jasper) every weekend. I didn't have much homework because I do 98% of it in class and don't take AP courses (I could, but I'd probably snap and stab someone in the neck with a pencil)

S&Wshooter 06-10-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 14328)
I'm not saying that they suck.

No, I like them because they consistently don't suck. That's very rare these days

S&Wshooter 06-10-2010 01:29 AM

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBcu8YWs7uM