imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stupidest Guns used in Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=280)

k9870 05-29-2009 04:44 PM

Stupidest Guns used in Movies

Well, wondering what you think are the stupidest guns to use in a movie. Weve all seen cops with Desert Eagles and 1911s in ankle holsters. Yesterday I saw Terminator and they all carry 5.56mm carbines, when a .308AP round would be way more effective. In predator Jesse The Gubanatorial Body Ventura used a minigun as a personal weapon. Wondering what you think may be the dumbest un ever to be used in a movie, or worst mistakes.

Winchester 05-29-2009 09:22 PM

well in Terminator's defense, its the future and they are staying at a military base, who uses 5.56.

Spartan198 05-29-2009 10:01 PM

The handheld miniguns to me (at least in Jesse Ventura's case) aren't necessarily dumb, just over-exaggerated for entertainment purposes. But a killer cyborg from 2029 more than likely wouldn't have much difficulty carrying and firing one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Winchester (Post 3240)
well in Terminator's defense, its the future and they are staying at a military base, who uses 5.56.

Not to mention they don't really have the luxury to be picky about what they use, considering machines dominate the world and humanity is in hiding. I seriously doubt they've got factories pumping out weapons and ammo for them. That, and 5.56 seemed to be working pretty well for them.

Clutch 05-29-2009 10:10 PM

I debated for some time as to how to answer this question...only to realize that this is an exceptionally stupid question.

There really are NO stupid guns that have ever been used in movies. Not even the Desert Eagle, as painfully overused as that is. Now, HOW it's used...that's the big question. The M1911A1's an awesome gun, but you give it to Steven Seagal in any one of his movies after 2001, and he can make even that gun look dumb. On the flip side, a silenced Ruger Mk. II might not seem like much, but the right movie with the right circumstances (1995's Assassins) can make me want to own that gun.

It don't take much to make any gun, even one you are madly in love with, look undesirable and jackass-worthy. Just give it to...well, a jackass, and film it.

Spartan198 05-29-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch (Post 3242)
I debated for some time as to how to answer this question...only to realize that this is an exceptionally stupid question.

There really are NO stupid guns that have ever been used in movies. Not even the Desert Eagle, as painfully overused as that is. Now, HOW it's used...that's the big question. The M1911A1's an awesome gun, but you give it to Steven Seagal in any one of his movies after 2001, and he can make even that gun look dumb. On the flip side, a silenced Ruger Mk. II might not seem like much, but the right movie with the right circumstances (1995's Assassins) can make me want to own that gun.

It don't take much to make any gun, even one you are madly in love with, look undesirable and jackass-worthy. Just give it to...well, a jackass, and film it.

Well said. :)

k9870 05-29-2009 10:23 PM

In the first terminator they had lazers and G3s. The new one 556, which is shown just bouncing off. A full sized gun as a BUG or held in ankle holsters seems stupid. A DEAG used by cops or military? Stupid. Dirty Harry firing a harpoon offhand? Theres a reason there mounted. A tactical 500 mag? Okay punisher...

Clutch 05-29-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 3245)
In the first terminator they had lazers and G3s. The new one 556, which is shown just bouncing off. A full sized gun as a BUG or held in ankle holsters seems stupid. A DEAG used by cops or military? Stupid. Dirty Harry firing a harpoon offhand? Theres a reason there mounted. A tactical 500 mag? Okay punisher...

All comes back to my point - no stupid guns, just STUPID USES FOR GUNS...

Besides, I wouldn't mind owning a couple of the Desert Eagles I've ever seen in movies (Predator 2 comes to mind...).

As for Terminator Salvation, a few things. One, the movie's set in 2018. Therefore, the assumption can be made that the plasma weapons and all that jazz hadn't quite been perfected yet. Two, AP rounds come in 5.56mm too. The movie may have did a poor job depicting that, but if I were John Connor, I'd have so much armor-piercing ordanance on me that my boots could have punched through 1/4 inch steel plates. Three, the Terminator he shot was significantly weakened (and rightfully so, considering it looks like he was a victim of a few strafes from one of those A-10s). You pound away at something long enough, and eventually you'll break through it...as was evidenced by the T-600 that attacked him after the base self-destructed. He needed about 30 rounds from a door-mounted M60 to drop THAT one (oh, by the way, there's your 7.62x51mm right there).

Gunmaster45 05-30-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 3245)
Dirty Harry firing a harpoon offhand? Theres a reason there mounted.

Well, Callahan's gun had been stolen by the killer, so he needed a weapon fast. The powerful harpoon was handy so he grabbed it and killed the guy with it. If he had fired it from the mount it was on, he likely would have missed (they showed the harpoon was very inaccurate at the start of the film). So while it isn't the most tactically efficient weapon, it did what it needed to at the time. "You're out of bullets... and you know what that means? You're shit out of luck." Good stuff.

k9870 05-30-2009 01:07 AM

Wondering about the recoil on that though.....it can launch a whale killing projectile, im guessing it hurts on both ends.

Gunmaster45 05-30-2009 01:10 AM

I've shot a hand held harpoon before used for killing porpoise sized animals, and it was pretty stout. I'm sure that harpoon had some kick, but Dirty Harry is a Magnum kind of guy, he can handle it.

MT2008 05-30-2009 01:57 AM

I don't think the Desert Eagle's that stupid a gun for the movies. It may be an over-priced penis substitute with no practical value in real life, but in movies, it has character and screen presence that almost no other handgun has. As much as some people laugh at "The Matrix" films for featuring the Eagle, it's actually a perfect weapon for the Agents when you consider that the characters are supposed to be menacing, so they need to have wicked-looking handguns.

And Clutch raises an extremely good point - there are no stupid guns, just stupid directors who don't know how to use the guns' appearance on screen for maximum effect. How the actor is directed to use the gun on camera makes the difference. For instance, watching a movie like "Point Break" makes me want to grab my SIG P226 from its holster and pretend I'm Keanu Reeves, whereas if I watch a crappy film like "Maximum Risk" (which also features the P226), I don't get nearly the same feeling of excitement.

Gunmaster45 05-30-2009 02:00 AM

Why would anyone wan't to pretend they're Keanu Reeves? ;)

MT2008 05-30-2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 3261)
Why would anyone wan't to pretend they're Keanu Reeves? ;)

Come on, the scene from "Point Break" where he dumps a whole magazine from his P226 into the air was clearly worthy of an Oscar! An IMFDB Oscar, that is... :rolleyes: :D

Gunmaster45 05-30-2009 02:07 AM

I suppose... but firing his gun up into the air isn't safe! Then again, neither is jumping out of a plane without a chute in an attempt to catch the bad guy, so I guess it is a moot point.

I should buy that movie, I keep watching it on Encore and enjoying it heavily. The IMFDB page needs a revamp, so if someone doesn't beat me to it I'll pick it up.

Does iTunes have Point Break, Matt? If it does you should do it.

MT2008 05-30-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 3269)
I suppose... but firing his gun up into the air isn't safe! Then again, neither is jumping out of a plane without a chute in an attempt to catch the bad guy, so I guess it is a moot point.

I should buy that movie, I keep watching it on Encore and enjoying it heavily. The IMFDB page needs a revamp, so if someone doesn't beat me to it I'll pick it up.

Does iTunes have Point Break, Matt? If it does you should do it.

Nope, iTunes doesn't have it. I have it on VHS and a low-quality AVI rip, so it's best I not do it until I can get the DVD. If you beat me to it, I won't mind.

"Point Break" and "The Negotiator" are the best movies ever made for P226 fans. Probably the two movies that most made me want to own one.

ManiacallyChallenged 05-30-2009 05:37 AM

These aren't real guns, but the Starship Troopers 2 downgrade was ridiculous.
They start carrying massive laser cannons(shoulder slung minigun size) that serve no purpose.

Their power is portrayed as weaker than the Morita series, and the rate of fire is PITIFUL. Especially because in the end of ST1 we saw them test a smaller weapon that annihilated a hill.

Why would they start using stupid laser guns? It just aggravated me.

The only time I've been OK with Desert Eagles in movies has been the Matrix. The slow motion scene where the big Eagle cycles while viewed from above was amazing! Plus it didn't look huge and boxy in that movie, probably due to the cinematography. Most video games that feature it show off it's boxy back end, which is a major turn off for me.

Excalibur 05-30-2009 10:08 AM

I just don't find a Desert Eagle as appealing even if I have the money to afford it. What can't you do to a man with a Desert Eagle that you can't accomplice with a 1911? or even a 9mm gun? It's heavy as hell, the slide pull can be tough on you and the recoil, even if you are used to it, kicks hard. When you hold a Desert Eagle, you're not holding a gun, you're holding 4 pounds of steel.

MT2008 05-30-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 3285)
even if you are used to it, kicks hard.

Actually, the recoil isn't as bad as people seem to think it is. I can't remember if there was a substantial difference between the .50 AE Desert Eagle and any of the .45 ACP pistols I've fired (such as my S&W 4506). But the .50 AE Desert Eagle is actually fairly controllable due to its weight, and compared to what you might expect initially.

Also, I've heard that the .357 Magnum version of the DE is way more controllable and easier to shoot than revolvers in the same caliber.

k9870 05-30-2009 03:07 PM

The 357 is the least reliable though. The slide is heavy and most loads wont cycle effeciently. The fact its a rimmed cartridge doesn't help, either.

AdAstra2009 05-31-2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 3238)
Well, wondering what you think are the stupidest guns to use in a movie. Weve all seen cops with Desert Eagles and 1911s in ankle holsters. Yesterday I saw Terminator and they all carry 5.56mm carbines, when a .308AP round would be way more effective. In predator Jesse The Gubanatorial Body Ventura used a minigun as a personal weapon. Wondering what you think may be the dumbest un ever to be used in a movie, or worst mistakes.

I think they weren't using 7.62 NATO rifles because they aren't enough of them or something seeing as there aren't that many of them serving as the main service rifle of most countries.

Swordfish941 12-20-2009 07:11 AM

The Desert Eagle's an ok gun, but it's overused in movies! If you've seen "Natural Born Killers", Tom Sizemore is carry a big, flashy, stainless Desert Eagle IN A HIP HOLSTER! If you're senseable, you'd carry it in a shoulder holster. And another thing, they've made a gold plated version. Only dumbass pimps, wannabe gangsters ( I'm not degrading myself to an idiot rapper by saying "gangsta"), and the rich would arry them in that configuration. The stianless ones are pretty, though. Anyway (enough ranting here), It's nice. In my story, the character of Ares carries a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle Mk XlX with stainless frame and a blued slide and barrel. I've choosen this style of finish because it is beautiful and threating at the same time.

Gunmaster45 12-21-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 9740)
The Desert Eagle's an ok gun, but it's overused in movies! If you've seen "Natural Born Killers", Tom Sizemore is carry a big, flashy, stainless Desert Eagle IN A HIP HOLSTER! If you're senseable, you'd carry it in a shoulder holster. And another thing, they've made a gold plated version. Only dumbass pimps, wannabe gangsters ( I'm not degrading myself to an idiot rapper by saying "gangsta"), and the rich. The stianless ones are pretty, though. Anyway (enough ranting there), It's nice. In my story, the character of Ares carries a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle Mk XlX with stainless frame and a blued slide and barrel. I've choosen this style of finish because it is beautiful and threating at the same time.

A shoulder holster holding a piece that heavy starts to hurt your back because the harness pulls on your neck, so a hip holster isn't an awful idea. I think he had a cross draw, which is the best idea for when you're sitting and need to still draw it now and then.

Excalibur 12-21-2009 04:19 AM

I got one. In the XXX: State of the Union, at the very end during the train scene, the main character Ice Cube plays, enters the train by firing his M203 and creating a hole. It was attached to his XM8, but somehow he separated it and had it as a stand alone. So instead of using his XM8, which we can assume still had ammo, he walked around the train with just the M203. In a close quarters environment like that, I dont think it's a good idea. It was even stupid when half way through the train sequence, we discovered, he needed to reload his M203. So he was basically pointing an empty gun around.

Spartan198 12-21-2009 06:28 AM

No, that 203 would have been nothing more than a glorified baton launcher. He did empty out the XM8 on the train when he blew out the rear windshield before blowing it open with the launcher.

Excalibur 12-21-2009 07:08 AM

I'm just annoyed that this main character, who's supposed to be a former SEAL, doesn't have any sidearm or backup

Spartan198 12-21-2009 07:20 AM

Because they cause too much drag for real operators...? :D

(Sorry, HK joke gone wrong... :()

Nyles 12-21-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan198 (Post 9777)
No, that 203 would have been nothing more than a glorified baton launcher. He did empty out the XM8 on the train when he blew out the rear windshield before blowing it open with the launcher.

More than that. We had an American soldier in our AO get an ND with an M203 yesterday. Round didn't detonate, but he still had to be medevaced for shrapnel to his leg.

Spartan198 12-21-2009 04:47 PM

It still fragmented? Crap... :eek: I hope he's all right.

predator20 12-21-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 3238)
Well, wondering what you think are the stupidest guns to use in a movie. Weve all seen cops with Desert Eagles and 1911s in ankle holsters. Yesterday I saw Terminator and they all carry 5.56mm carbines, when a .308AP round would be way more effective.

5.56mm in Terminator Salvation.

I think it is dumb to be carrying that caliber against heavy armor. Case in point when the legless terminator goes after Connor he used an M60 firing 7.62 to put it down.

Excalibur 12-21-2009 11:10 PM

The thing about Terminator, it's never clear what the armor of the T-800 series and previous models are made of. In Salvation, regular rifle bullets seem to do the trick. Several 5.56 at point blank to the face of a T-600 seem to finish it off. Though handguns dont do shit.

In The Sarah Connor Chronicles, one characters used an M82 with a special round and it only managed to piss off the T-800.

Yournamehere 12-21-2009 11:18 PM

Yeah I was scratching my head when I saw every soldier with a 5.56 rifle in TS. It would make sense if they were beat up M16A2s, A4s, or M4A1s, like standard U.S. military rifles, cause then the whole "they used what was available" excuse comes into play, but they had 416s and full auto piston guns. Did HK sponsor the war or something?

k9870 12-22-2009 12:50 AM

They even had an mp-5...yeah pistol rounds on robots.....
Shotguns may have made sense.....with slugs. the whole buckshot thing....wtf?
The DSA Fal carbine actually makes sense. Maybe FALs and G3s, rugged, powerful rifles with armor piercing ammo would be a good choice, but there just not tacticool enough.

Clutch 12-22-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 9813)
The thing about Terminator, it's never clear what the armor of the T-800 series and previous models are made of. In Salvation, regular rifle bullets seem to do the trick. Several 5.56 at point blank to the face of a T-600 seem to finish it off. Though handguns dont do shit.

In The Sarah Connor Chronicles, one characters used an M82 with a special round and it only managed to piss off the T-800.

The fact that there are (or were, depending on how you look at it) two official timelines doesn't make things any clearer. The one commonality seems to be the T-800 - in both timelines, each model seems to be impervious to damn near anything short of nuking the bastard, though even that raises a couple of questions. In the original Terminator, Reese manages to blow apart (but not completely destroy) a T-800 with a crudely constructed pipe bomb. But in Salvation, a 40mm high explosive grenade only burns away the skin covering of a T-800. You may raise your "WTF?" flags now.

Seems if you want to stop or kill a Terminator, you better have two things ready - a shotgun stocked with a lot of slugs, and access to something heavy. Like a crane. Or a M1A1 Abrams.

Excalibur 12-22-2009 07:43 AM

Or a "phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range"

Spartan198 12-22-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch (Post 9829)
In the original Terminator, Reese manages to blow apart (but not completely destroy) a T-800 with a crudely constructed pipe bomb. But in Salvation, a 40mm high explosive grenade only burns away the skin covering of a T-800. You may raise your "WTF?" flags now.

Add to that that even molten steel did nothing but slow it down for a minute or so.

MGRS 12-23-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 9812)

I think it is dumb to be carrying that caliber against heavy armor. Case in point when the legless terminator goes after Connor he used an M60 firing 7.62 to put it down.

Why? 5.56 would have been plentiful at that point and more controllable than 7.62 from a shoulder fired weapon. The 5.56 M995 and M993 AP rounds were designed to give the M4/M16 and M249 the ability to kill enemy personnel inside light armor like combloc BRDs and BRDMs. It is very good at drilling small holes in steel.

Back on topic:

SPAS-12-There may not be a cooler looking fail-prone piece of junk anywhere. They don't even handle well. I can't think of any place other than a display case where another weapon would not serve better.

Any of the myriad of automatic weapons used without stocks and fired like pistols- unless or course the target is in the same restroom stall.

predator20 12-23-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 9812)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGRS (Post 9872)
Why? 5.56 would have been plentiful at that point and more controllable than 7.62 from a shoulder fired weapon. The 5.56 M995 and M993 AP rounds were designed to give the M4/M16 and M249 the ability to kill enemy personnel inside light armor like combloc BRDs and BRDMs. It is very good at drilling small holes in steel.

Back on topic:

SPAS-12-There may not be a cooler looking fail-prone piece of junk anywhere. They don't even handle well. I can't think of any place other than a display case where another weapon would not serve better.

Any of the myriad of automatic weapons used without stocks and fired like pistols- unless or course the target is in the same restroom stall.

I said heavy armor not light armor. When it comes to firing a 7.62 full auto it's all about your stance.

while a big guy look at his stance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z1q8...eature=related
not leaning forward enough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VprIh...eature=related
not leaning forward enough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbL64...eature=related

k9870 12-23-2009 09:01 PM

Theres a difference between bullets made to puncture the steel helmet of a russian troop and piercing heavily armored robots and having enough energy to do damage when its through. m16s against armored vehicles? What? Most cars it does good, making it a good LE weapon. Add some armor and your screwed.

thejumbo 01-23-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 3259)
I don't think the Desert Eagle's that stupid a gun for the movies. It may be an over-priced penis substitute with no practical value in real life, but in movies, it has character and screen presence that almost no other handgun has. As much as some people laugh at "The Matrix" films for featuring the Eagle, it's actually a perfect weapon for the Agents when you consider that the characters are supposed to be menacing, so they need to have wicked-looking handguns.

Overall, the Eagle works amazingly well in The Matrix. Not only does it look small because the agents are all actually big guys (Hugo Weaving is a solid 6'3") but it also fits the bill as to what they are all about. The agents are not necessarily about finesse when it comes right down to it.

And, interestingly enough, the film only puts the Eagle in the hands of the agents, despite the fact that the heroes have access to any gun ever for their raid. They choose more reliable hardware across the board.

Excalibur 01-23-2010 05:13 PM

Well behind the scenes explain that they wanted the Agent guns to be the most badass of the time and what better example of power in a handgun than a Desert Eagle