imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your favorite guns? (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=138)

k9870 03-19-2009 05:48 PM

Your favorite guns?

Only what you have actually shot.

I personally shoot best with a marlin 336 with an aftermarket peep sight my friend owns.

I shoot my Savage mk II G the most. Ammos cheap, and it is an accurate gun that eats anything I feed it. I shoot it more than any other guns.

I also like 1911 style Autos, Some day I'll get one with a larger safety and slide release for easy usage. I also like Double actions like the model 19 or 686p. Not a fan of double action automatics. You?

Yournamehere 03-19-2009 07:04 PM

If it's only what I've actually shot, probably Beretta 92FS. I'd say my 5906 up until recently when the extractor started failing. Gotta get that fixed. The Model 19 was fun as hell to shoot, and just knowing I had the gun itself in my hands was gratifying. I gotta go shoot that thing again................

Gunmaster45 03-19-2009 07:18 PM

No doubt the M1911A1 pistol series is my favorite. I also like the Berettas, they have a very smooth slide and shoot nice, although I loathe their replacement of the 1911 in the military.

I like Glocks, I've shot a 17 and a 19 and both were nice guns. I'm not a huge fan of the triggers though, the half-cocked safety system makes the trigger pull half double action every time.

I like the AR-15 series rifles, mainly because they are very nice to shoot and very accurate. Too loud though to shoot often.

I like the M1 Garand a lot, you have to shoot one to really enjoy it. Otherwise it is a 9 1/2 pound hunk of wood and metal that goes "Ping" when you eject the clip from it.

The Springfield 1903 rifles are very nice to shoot as well.

I love revolvers, especially Smith & Wessons. They are much smoother than Colts, but Colts are still decent. The new stainless S&Ws are great, now I don't have to worry about that touchy bluing smudging up.

I like old vintage guns. I love SAAs, Colt Navies, Armys, Remington 1858s, and Winchester rifles. Marlin made a lot of good stuff too but they don't look as nice as Winchesters.

I love guns, frankly. I have my favorite, but as long as it isn't infamous for killing the user shooting it, I'll give it a try.

Yournamehere 03-20-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 1301)
I love revolvers, especially Smith & Wessons. They are much smoother than Colts, but Colts are still decent. The new stainless S&Ws are great, now I don't have to worry about that touchy bluing smudging up.

Unless you've got an action job on a Smith, it's not better than a Colt, especially a vintage Python. I've got A Colt and a Smith, and while the Smith does have the better action (but not tighter lockup) I can tell it's been opened up and modified. Still, they are the quintessential revolver makes.

k9870 03-20-2009 12:47 AM

The python was a piece of art, one of the greatest made. That doesn;t mean all colts are good. The lawman or trooper, forgot which, was stiff. I shot an unmodified 686p that pulled at just under 8 pounds double action. Performance center makes some awesome guns too.

MT2008 03-20-2009 01:57 AM

I haven't really shot enough guns (handled many, not shot). Of the pistols I've shot, I like the Beretta 92 series (and, more specifically, the Taurus PT92 copy) and SIG-Sauers the most. I also have enormous respect for the 1911, but I've only fired one in my entire life so far.

Going back further in time, I think the LeMat revolver was a really cool concept. My Dad owns a more recently-manufactured copy.

Gunmaster45 03-20-2009 04:32 AM

The LeMat was an interesting idea but the gun was too heavy and under powered. Basically take a high capacity 9mm and make it weigh a ton and you've got a LeMat today. The underbarrel shotgun was weak too. If someone had cartridge converted the LeMat, it could have become very sucessful.

I really like SAAs and am trying to aquire a Ruger Vaquero for shooting. I can't mess around with my dad's original Colt from 1875.

Nyles 03-20-2009 04:55 AM

I think the Lemat is a super clever concept, but every time I pick one up (repros, obviously) it feels more like I'm holding an axe than a pistol.

I think the Lee-Enfield rifle is just about the finest military rifle ever issued, Garand included. Given that I own 9 of them, I'd say they're my overall favorite.

My favorite automatic is the 1911, specifically the pre-1934 Colt-made 1911s. While the A1 is a big improvement in terms of pointability and the hammer bite issue, the original 1911s are just pretty. I also have a soft spot for the Mauser C/96 and the Webley & Scott autos.

My favorite revolver is the Webley Mk.VI, though I'm also pretty partial to the large-frame Colts. There's no arguing that S&Ws are technologically superior - but Colts are tougher. While my New Service is about the clunkiest revolver I've ever seen, but I just like the feel of the old boat anchor. There's something comforting about knowing even if I miss with all 6 shots, I can still beat him to death with it.

My favorite semi-auto rifle is the Tokarev SVT-40 - I've shot just about all of it's contemporaries short of the Japanese Type-5, but it's easily the most fun. My favorite automatic rifle is the C8A2 carbine - very accurate and I'm comfortable enough with it to use it when I haven't slept for a week. Just wish they'd give me one.

Rockwolf66 03-20-2009 05:53 AM

As far as Pistols go I love the Sig-Sauer P-220R. it fits my hand well and they shoot great. As far as Civilian Rifles go I love my Remington M-700P. My shotgun of Choice is the Mossberg 500 series and I have owned two.

As far as Class 3 goes I am a fan of the MP-5K PDW, the M-4A1 carbine with M-203 and the M-60 machinegun. Personally I can't stand the standard Gip on the M-249.

Spartan198 03-20-2009 06:10 AM

ATM, the only real firearm I've shot is a 22-caliber semi-auto hunting rifle my dad had when I was a kid. :(

Aside from that, I do quite enjoy shooting my airsoft D-Boys M4A1 w/M203. :D

I do have an acquaintance who might be getting an LMT MRP gas piston carbine. Maybe I'll get a chance to shoot it someday...

k9870 03-20-2009 11:38 AM

Gunmaster, I have heard a .30carbine ruger blackhawk is a fun single action, lets just say, hearing protection!

It would be great at the range, someone would see your pistol sounding off like a rifle and just have to check it out.

Gunmaster45 03-20-2009 07:50 PM

MY dad used to own a Ruger Black Hawk in .44 MAGNUM, which is a lot louder than a .30 Carbine (keep in mind all short barreled guns are loud, even .22s, but a .30 Carbine is pretty quiet in an M1) a Black Hawk pistol on the other hand, is like thunder in your hand.

Rockwolf66 03-20-2009 09:13 PM

.300 Winmag in a 25 yard indoor range. They could hear it go off two stories up through the floors. :)

Gunmaster45 03-20-2009 10:13 PM

That's not hard to believe. If you shoot indoors though I should hope you wear ear protection, especially when firing a .300 Win Mag. For that matter, shooting the .30 Carbine outdoors should require earmuffs too.

You never think loud guns are damaging until you blow out an ear drum like my dad did shooting a .357 Ruger Speed Six.

k9870 03-20-2009 11:47 PM

My friend's m1 carbine is a soft shooter, I saw a blackhawk at the range that made a 357 look like a popgun.

I am so pleased with my savage rimfire I may be going centerfire soon. Maybe a weather warrior. (16/116 series)

Winchester 04-09-2009 01:33 AM

I love Berettas. Absoultly love the 92 series, but i have large(r) hands compared to other people, which makes a world of a difference with the double-stacking. They're very nice weapons, though. Accurate and extremely reliable.

The 1911 series, (i have one personally, but my family owns several) loses the competition by inches compared to the 92. I love the .45 ACP, but 7 rounds just kills me.

Then, are my Winchesters. I have a '94 and a 1300. I love these two guns more than life itself. They were passed down starting from my great grandpa and now i have them. My '94 is almost never fired, but my 1300 is fired about twice a week.

I'm planning on joining the U.S. Army next year, just before i graduate, where i plan on shooting soooooo many guns that it isnt even funny. For my 18th b-day i also plan on purchasing a Remington 870 or Remington 700 to practice on, as i would very much like to become Sniper qualified.

Gunmaster45 04-09-2009 02:12 AM

I like the Winchester 92 better than the 94 because it is smoother, the 94's lever feels sloppy. plus, you can shoot almost anything in a 92, which is why older movies use them so much, despite being anachronistic.

Gunmaster45 04-09-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 1319)

My favorite automatic is the 1911, specifically the pre-1934 Colt-made 1911s. While the A1 is a big improvement in terms of pointability and the hammer bite issue, the original 1911s are just pretty.

Do you mean pre-1924? Because that's when the M1911 became the M1911A1.

Nyles 04-09-2009 06:11 AM

Yes and no, 1924 is when most of the A1 features were introduced, but they were marked as 1911s until 1937. The 1924 series is referred to as the Transitional Model. That said, yes, 1934 was a typo.

HKFan 04-09-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 1327)
MY dad used to own a Ruger Black Hawk in .44 MAGNUM, which is a lot louder than a .30 Carbine (keep in mind all short barreled guns are loud, even .22s, but a .30 Carbine is pretty quiet in an M1) a Black Hawk pistol on the other hand, is like thunder in your hand.

I've fired a Ruger SuperBlack Hawk (180 grains) .44 Magnum with a custom grip. It kicks pretty hard but for me it's dead accurate. My dad is thinking about selling but has regrets that he'll miss it.

k9870 04-09-2009 02:33 PM

HK fan, what do you think about the HK overrated thread lol.

Excalibur 04-09-2009 08:30 PM

My favorite brand of handguns has always been 1911s, any kind really. But I have been more open to Beretta 92s recently, but that's mostly because I'm a John Woo fan. And of course I'm always a fan of the M16 family.

Winchester 04-13-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 1698)
My favorite brand of handguns has always been 1911s, any kind really.

Hoo-ra! Can't go wrong with a .45

Excalibur 04-13-2009 02:03 AM

Damn straight.

k9870 04-13-2009 02:07 AM

I shoot very well with 1911s, so I basically love the things.

MT2008 04-13-2009 02:21 AM

Some day, I promise I'll ditch my 9mms and get myself a nice 1911. :D

I want to rent one at some point, too, but my range only seems to have S&W and Para-Ordnance 1911s for rent.

Winchester 04-20-2009 11:31 PM

nothing wrong with 9 mils, but a .45 in just a very nice weapon

ManiacallyChallenged 04-21-2009 12:27 AM

Oooh, what a loaded question(please forgive the heavy handed pun).

For handguns I've always liked the 1911's, as well as the Walther P99.
of course, I actually like some of Smith & Wesson's 4000 series handguns too.

Gunmaster45 04-21-2009 01:18 AM

I've always wanted a new 1911, since my M1911/M1911A1 frankenpistol can still cause nasty hammerbite. I really hope I can get the P-14 slide and make a 14 shot Colt.

Ever since I shot a Beretta 96 DAO, I've been very interested in Berettas. I hope I can get a 92FS with a non-alloy frame to own. The slides are incredibly smooth and it fits well in my hand. I've gotten better with handguns lately because I've been practicing a lot, so I shot pretty well with it too.

Nyles 04-21-2009 04:48 AM

If you're getting hammer bite, try swapping out the grip safety for one with a longer time. Failing that, try Skeeter Skelton's old trick - wrap some sandpaper around the frame (rough side out of course) with the grips off, attach the grips, and boom. Poor man's no slip surface.

Gunmaster45 04-21-2009 07:21 PM

I figured swapping for an A1 grip safety spur would be a good idea, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Just as long as it isn't a beavertail, those things suck.

Cool, 400th post. :D

MT2008 04-21-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 2107)
Ever since I shot a Beretta 96 DAO, I've been very interested in Berettas. I hope I can get a 92FS with a non-alloy frame to own. The slides are incredibly smooth and it fits well in my hand. I've gotten better with handguns lately because I've been practicing a lot, so I shot pretty well with it too.

I'd consider the Taurus PT92 first. Berettas are excellent guns, but you're paying more for the name than anything else. The Taurus is usually $150-$200 cheaper, plus it has a better safety/decocker. It even looks prettier, IMO.

Yournamehere 04-21-2009 08:36 PM

I dig Berettas, and A Taurus is fine too, but I'd go for a Beretta simply because of aesthetics, it's wider commonality, and yes, the name. I agree that the Taurus safety/decocker system is superior to the slide mounted system though.

MT2008 04-21-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 2140)
I dig Berettas, and A Taurus is fine too, but I'd go for a Beretta simply because of aesthetics, it's wider commonality, and yes, the name. I agree that the Taurus safety/decocker system is superior to the slide mounted system though.

Aesthetics? I think the Taurus actually looks better. The slide-mounted safety on the Beretta, besides being unwieldy compared to frame-mounted, disrupts the smooth, flowing lines of the slide. I think the Taurus looks sleeker because it doesn't have this.

Also, the 92F is about to become a lot less common because Beretta is reducing production and moving to the M9A1 and 90-Two, both of which look way uglier.

IMO, the Taurus PT92 is a much better buy. One of these days, I'm probably going to buy myself another PT92, except nickel/stainless this time. And the one I buy won't have those f'ugly-ass tactical rails, either. I figure I need at least one "nickel-plated sissy pistol" in my handgun collection. :D

jdun 04-21-2009 09:48 PM

Taurus isn't known for QC and I refuse to by firearms that has integrated locks. You're better off with Berettas.

MT2008 04-21-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdun (Post 2143)
Taurus isn't known for QC and I refuse to by firearms that has integrated locks. You're better off with Berettas.

The locks are much more recent.

Also, I can say from experience that PT92s made since about the early/mid-90s are of almost the same build quality as Berettas.

jdun 04-21-2009 10:30 PM

I believe Taurus started putting integrated locks around 2000. The only thing that integrated lock do well is make the handgun less reliable.

Nyles 04-22-2009 12:21 AM

I don't know how things are in the US, but in Canada Taurus' customer support sucks. They're well-made guns, but if it breaks you're fucked.

jdun 04-22-2009 07:04 PM

Taurus isn't known for good customer service in the States.

Gunmaster45 04-22-2009 07:59 PM

I'd probably pick a Taurus myself since I believe in carrying firearms "Condition One" like a 1911, so I like that safety. The fact that it doubles as a decocker is very conveniant. The lock doesn't sound too good though... I wish the PT92 had stepping on the trigger guard curve though, sometimes I find myself resting my finger their. I don't know were that type of grip stands today, I only see people like Bruce Willis hold the guns like that now.

Speaking of customer service, my dad once had to send a Colt Anacando back to the factory to replace the barrel because the threads fit loose. To see if they would actually replace anything, he made a small, non-noticable notch on the barrel and frame. He got it back, no replacement. They just tightened the barrel until the threads were near stripped. As you can imagine, he avoids the snake guns. Shame though, I'd like a Colt Python.