imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   imfdb (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dongs is a tyrant (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=331)

PersonOfInterest 06-19-2009 06:16 AM

Dongs is a tyrant

Dongs apparently thinks the Goldeneye 007 article is his own precious infant that only he can edit and whatever he puts on it is right and correct.

Everytime i try to update the page, he refloods it with his nonsense.

Check the page history to see what I'm talking about.

Worst of all is that i took the time to reorganize the page so that the firearms are presented in the order in which they appear when scrolling through them in the pause screen. Why did he feel it necessary to change it back to the original nonsensical order?

He may be tweaking other VG articles I've edited, GTA: VC, GTA: SA, GTA 3, and 007: TWINE

PersonOfInterest 06-19-2009 07:08 AM

Update: Dongs keeps undoing my change to Vice City. He idiotically insists the stubby shotgun is a Stakeout, regardless of any evidence I present to the contrary.

See the history for details.

Vangelis 06-19-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest (Post 3988)
Dongs apparently thinks the Goldeneye 007 article is his own precious infant that only he can edit and whatever he puts on it is right and correct.

Orca1 9904 not only reverted all your edits to that article because they were vandalism, he also protected the page. You should probably therefore assume that those edits are not regarded as welcome rather than registering so you can make them again. As regards the other article, Gunman69 doesn't agree with you either; there's no such thing as a Serbu Super Shorty with an Ithaca 37 reciever and bolt.

PersonOfInterest 06-19-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis (Post 3990)
Orca1 9904 not only reverted all your edits to that article because they were vandalism, he also protected the page. You should probably therefore assume that those edits are not regarded as welcome rather than registering so you can make them again. As regards the other article, Gunman69 doesn't agree with you either; there's no such thing as a Serbu Super Shorty with an Ithaca 37 reciever and bolt.

This whole conversation is symptomatic of a larger problem on this site. That problem being a lack of consensus on how to identify poorly or improperly rendered firearms in video games.

One example that immediately comes to mind is GTA 3. The M16 was, for a while, identified as "M16A1 w/ A2 handguards". In movies, A1's are given A2 handguards because A2's are needed but A1's are all that are available. The American movie going public for the most part doesn't notice, and the illusion is succesful.

In a video game, there is no need to jury rig one weapon into another or use rubber props. If you want something, you write the code for it and it's there, and you try to the best of your ability to make it look and function how you like. The developers have an intent to create something, and then they have the final product, which, due to time and technological constraints, might not be exactly as envisioned.

the M16 in GTA3 was "intended" to be the M16A2. But because of how it was rendered, somebody here felt that the barrel wasnt thick enough to qualify it as an A2. So they called it an "A1 w/ A2 grips". Not what the developers were intending it to be, but what it ended up most closely resembling visually.

Another example; the RCP90 from Goldeneye. Not a real gun. Doesn't look like a real gun either. It shares the same basic shape as the FN P90, but the colors and proportions are all completely wrong. Still we call it a P90 because what else could it be? It's based on the P90, but is it really a P90?

Gunmaster45 06-19-2009 07:30 PM

This is why I avoid all but the most legitimate gun video games where I can definately identify weapons as they are meant to appear. These arguments are dumb, and frankly, so are a lot of these video games. I haven't played Golden Eye since I was like 6. It's an ancient game most people don't religiously play anymore since the advent of much more advanced games with much better renditions of firearms.

And GTA 3? The game has suck-ass graphics, even for the PS2, so calling it an M16A2 would likely be right. But does it fire full-auto? If that's the case then it is an M16A3.

AdAstra2009 06-19-2009 08:22 PM

Yeah that Dongs guys is annoying.
look at this stupid argument I had with him.

(Scroll down to "Dragon is indeed a G36K")
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/User_talk:AdAstra2009

Excalibur 06-19-2009 09:21 PM

What are you talking about? Which page are you debating on a G36K?

PersonOfInterest 06-19-2009 10:17 PM

It was the Perfect Dark page, which has since been deleted. Mostly because of Dongs and his nonsense.

AdAstra2009 06-19-2009 10:56 PM

Dongs was claiming the dragon (top) is the G36K.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...en-compare.jpg

Excalibur 06-19-2009 11:12 PM

It looks like a toddler's drawing of a G36K. I don't see the stock at all, the carrying handle is completely wrong and even the barrel looks bent. How can someone thinks this is a G36K. It's stupid.

AdAstra2009 06-19-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 4022)
It looks like a toddler's drawing of a G36K. I don't see the stock at all, the carrying handle is completely wrong and even the barrel looks bent. How can someone thinks this is a G36K. It's stupid.

Finally thank you!!!!!!!!!

.....umm it isn't possible to maybe suspend dongs on grounds of incompentence maybe?

Vangelis 06-19-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 4022)

I draw your attention to this:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Famil...se_Type_69_RPG

Based on that, I wasn't sure if 'looks like a child's drawing of something' was actually a good reason not to label it.

Excalibur 06-20-2009 01:07 AM

Dear god is Family guy STILL UP? I thought I deleted that page

Phoenixent 06-20-2009 01:11 AM

Although I have worked on some games as a armorer some games and shows are very borderline on even surviving on IMFDB. I enjoy Family Guy but is is one of those show that in my mind it's a waste.

I have given both Dongs and PersonOfInterest a warning to be nice as it seems it was getting hot. So it lets keep it cool and if any steps out of line will suffer a penalty.

AdAstra2009 06-20-2009 03:07 AM

Seriously??? He had the Goldeneye Sniper Rifle listed as the "L96A1"
http://www.imfdb.org/images/d/df/GoldenEye_Sniper.png
Either he is 13 years old or he just got into guns less than a month ago.

Vangelis 06-20-2009 03:18 AM

Join the pistol grip to the stock to make a thumbhole, add a magazine well, extend the barrel back to the base of the scope, get rid of the big silly silencer, and you have an L96A1. It's not that unclear. Why not argue that the RC-P90 isn't a P90 because it barely resembles one?

Gunmaster45 06-20-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis (Post 4027)
I draw your attention to this:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Famil...se_Type_69_RPG

Based on that, I wasn't sure if 'looks like a child's drawing of something' was actually a good reason not to label it.

I feel dumb, since I added the Type 69 image. I didn't document it to the page first though, someone else claimed Stewie used a Type 69 and when I uploaded the screencap, I said "Uh, it looks nothing like a Type 69 but whatever."

Excalibur 06-20-2009 04:09 AM

Well it's finally gone anyway, so problem solved

MoviePropMaster2008 06-20-2009 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis (Post 3990)
There's no such thing as a Serbu Super Shorty with an Ithaca 37 reciever and bolt.

But there are super short Ithaca Mod 37s customized in a very similar fashion to the Serbu Super Shorty. From what I remember the Serbus are only available with a Mossberg Maverick/500 or a Remington 870 as the base firearm. They look very much alike, but you are right, you should not call the ultra short Model 37 a Serbu when it isn't.

AdAstra2009 06-20-2009 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis (Post 4035)

Join the pistol grip to the stock to make a thumbhole, add a magazine well, extend the barrel back to the base of the scope, get rid of the big silly silencer, and you have an L96A1. It's not that unclear. ?

So your saying if you change everything to make it into a completely different gun than it's an L96A1?

what are you on????????

I could also say that if you lengthen the wood frame and remove the pistol grip it's kar98, but that's not the case is it.

Vangelis 06-20-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 (Post 4043)
So your saying if you change everything to make it into a completely different gun than it's an L96A1?

No, I'm saying it's missing a few details [mag well, a piece of the stock], has a big silly silencer added, and the barrel doesn't extend far enough back onto the frame. That doesn't make it a completely different gun, you're being ridiculous. This is the same game that wants you to believe this is an MP5K, don't forget.

Gunmaster45 06-20-2009 06:28 AM

I have to agree with AdAstra here, I think you're being a bit ridiculous.

Missing: "[mag well, a piece of the stock], has a big silly silencer added, and the barrel doesn't extend far enough back onto the frame."

These differences seperate it from resembling an L96A1 pretty much at all. In fact, I look at the gun and see no similarities. At least the DK5 looks something like an MP5K in basic shape. The sniper rifle looks nothing like an L96A1.

Vangelis 06-20-2009 06:49 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Snipercopy.gif

That's the two side by side and scaled to be the same length; there's certainly a missing section of forearm and since there's no reciever the Goldeneye barrel just ends for no good reason, but there's an overall similarity if you imagine all the detail removed from the L96. Still a few differences, but it's as good a guess as any.

Incidentally, before I put it down as an L96 it was labelled as a KSVK, which isn't exactly a more realistic claim. I would also note again that I reverted PersonOfInterest's changes to the article after an admin reverted almost all of them and protected the page the first time he made them. I don't think I can be faulted for assuming that meant the changes should be reverted as vandalism if they were made again.

Not really worth arguing over, anyway, I just felt it was better to call it something; if it's too vague, I've no problem with it being removed. I'd rather work on turning things like this into things like this than get hung up on what guns that look like they were made of plasticine by a drunk are.

PersonOfInterest 06-20-2009 09:03 AM

Labelling it as "Fictional Sniper Rifle" solves the problem completely.

It's semiautomatic, has wooden furniture, and is used by the Russians. Is it an SVD?

It has an 8 round magazine. Is it an M1D or M1C?

It has a silencer. Is it a VSS?

It's nothing. Nothing at all. Just a "sniper rifle".

Vangelis 06-20-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest (Post 4048)
It's semiautomatic, has wooden furniture, and is used by the Russians. Is it an SVD?

The line of thought I was going for was 'used by James Bond' [he starts Surface 1 with it] therefore English, therefore L96A1, and the resemblance being what clinches it, but I can see how if you don't think along those lines you can end up somewhere completly different. The semi-auto isn't really an issue since even the pump action shotgun in Goldeneye ended up semi auto, and the wooden furniture similar; Goldeneye has a P90 with wooden furniture.

Rockwolf66 06-20-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis (Post 4047)
Not really worth arguing over, anyway, I just felt it was better to call it something; if it's too vague, I've no problem with it being removed. I'd rather work on turning things like this into things like this than get hung up on what guns that look like they were made of plasticine by a drunk are.

The only issue i have with the new farcry page is the fact that the M-249 does have 100 round belts in a fabric bag rather than a plastic box. yeah it's a minor quible so...whatever.

Still if you get ahold of the new Fallout 1,2 & Tactics pack or Jagged Alliance 2:Unfinished Buisiness feel free to upgrade the pages.

AdAstra2009 06-20-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest (Post 4048)
Labelling it as "Fictional Sniper Rifle" solves the problem completely.

It has an 8 round magazine. Is it an M1D or M1C?

It has a silencer. Is it a VSS?

It's nothing. Nothing at all. Just a "sniper rifle".

I agree --------

Vangelis 06-21-2009 06:39 AM

I do think the way PersonOfInterest edited it wasn't really right either, however; sure, we've established there isn't enough detail to tell what it is, but that doesn't mean we can declare it was never supposed to be anything as he did [in particular we can't say it specifically isn't supposed to be a bolt-action, given this is a game with a semi-auto pump shotgun]; all we can say is we can't tell what it is and have no concrete evidence it was supposed to be anything. I've re-worded it as:

Quote:

The "Sniper Rifle" is a silenced semi-automatic sniper rifle with wooden furniture; it bears a passing resemblance to a couple of real-life sniper rifles, but none clearly enough to make a good judgement as to precisely what it was based on. Notably, the midsection is completely undetailled, the weapon having no clear action or magazine location.
Which is about the best we can say until someone from Rare comes in and admits it was based on a Beretta Inox and they stopped putting cactus venom in the vending machines after that day.

AdAstra2009 06-21-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis (Post 4067)
Which is about the best we can say until someone from Rare comes in and admits it was based on a Beretta Inox and they stopped putting cactus venom in the vending machines after that day.

I bet they'd think "why would anyone give a crap what it was"

PersonOfInterest 06-21-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis (Post 4067)
I do think the way PersonOfInterest edited it wasn't really right either, however; sure, we've established there isn't enough detail to tell what it is, but that doesn't mean we can declare it was never supposed to be anything as he did [in particular we can't say it specifically isn't supposed to be a bolt-action, given this is a game with a semi-auto pump shotgun];

The "semiautomatic pump shotgun" isn't really "in the game". It does not appear in either single player or multiplayer and can only be accessed with a cheat.

Rare probably decided to toss it, but forgot to remove it completely. So really its irrelevant.

Vangelis 06-21-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest (Post 4069)
Rare probably decided to toss it, but forgot to remove it completely. So really its irrelevant.

Regardless, though, there's no weapon in the game which has any animation related to operating it; they're all just blocks which bullets come out of one end of. That would mean any bolt-action weapon would either end up being shown as semi-auto or as reloading after every shot.

Having thought about it, I can see the reason for the wood furniture; it's a hardware limitation. The N64's texture cache is 4 kilobytes [that's the size of four of this board's smilies; less than four for some] which means stupid economies have to be made; Mario N64 did it by flat-shading a lot of surfaces, Turok did it with aggressive distance masking, Goldeneye by sharing textures between the weapons and the levels; almost every level has a large number of items made of wood in it.

It's certainly hard to tell what these older games are trying to do, though, and even harder if you don't know what the intent behind them is. Case in point, can you tell me what aircraft this is?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...yfighter-1.png

Oh, also:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66
Still if you get ahold of the new Fallout 1,2 & Tactics pack or Jagged Alliance 2:Unfinished Buisiness feel free to upgrade the pages.

I'm mostly running through my list of first-person shooters; I had a lot of shots of Crysis already since I was showing a friend how my new PC ran, and Far Cry seemed the next logical step. Both handily have a screenshot function built in [though you have to put Far Cry into devmode to use it]. I was thinking of re-capping Call of Duty 4 next, actually, since a lot of the images we have are googled and have watermarks from other sites on them.

Spartan198 06-22-2009 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis (Post 4070)
It's certainly hard to tell what these older games are trying to do, though, and even harder if you don't know what the intent behind them is. Case in point, can you tell me what aircraft this is?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...yfighter-1.png

A EF-2000 Typhoon with two stabilizer fins instead of one. ;)

ManiacallyChallenged 06-22-2009 09:37 AM

I have NO idea what kind of airplane that is.

I think Dongs certainly has caused enough havoc for one lifetime, perhaps he should be drawn and quartered. The old N64 shooters are pretty poor looking, probably the best was TWINE, but even so...

Vangelis 06-22-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged (Post 4103)
I think Dongs certainly has caused enough havoc for one lifetime, perhaps he should be drawn and quartered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged (Post 4104)
Sweet stuff, Vangelis.
Where you been all our lives?

I'm getting mixed messages here.

Gunmaster45 06-22-2009 11:50 AM

So you are Dongs! I figured so but I thought I'd sound stupid if I asked. Wow, people have been dissing you without even knowning it. Hell, even I mocked the name "dongs". ;)

AdAstra2009 06-22-2009 04:23 PM

Ha! CAUGHT YOU TRYING TO PULL THE WOOL OVER OUR EYES.
Well it won't work now :p

Vangelis 06-23-2009 11:27 AM

Just to answer this since nobody got it, that plane? It's an F-22. Thing is, you've no way to know that unless you're familiar with what the dev team was doing; see, F-29 Retaliator there was made in 1989 before any F-22 had ever actually been flown, so that plane is based on this piece of concept art:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...r_Coverart.png

The game was supposed to be called F-22 Retaliator, but was mis-announced. And it is kinda odd that the result ended up looking like a MiG 1.44.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ff/mig1-44.jpg

As another note, it's amazing how far flying games have come since I first played F-29 on our old Commodore Amiga. Click for a bigger [much, much bigger] version:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...8YearsOn-1.jpg

Vangelis 06-25-2009 06:50 PM

Well, some guy calling himself 'Den Mother' seems to have decided it's a KSVK again and keeps adding it to the article. Um, great. :mad:

Gunmaster45 06-25-2009 10:40 PM

Personally I don't get what there's left to argue about, this game is dead anyway.

AdAstra2009 06-25-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 4188)
Personally I don't get what there's left to argue about, this game is dead anyway.

I think that article should be deleted as most of the firearms there are generic and not really based on real world weaponry.