imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weapons in the Red Dawn Remake (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=663)

MT2008 11-10-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markit (Post 8399)
I'd say the T-72 was a fake, since it is narrower than the real vehicle, taller, has a shorter cannon and the position of the smoke dischargers is wrong. Also, Army Trucks Inc was responsible for the vehicles in that film so it is likely that it was another tank that was modified to resemble a T-72. The only U.S-filmed movie that I can think of that has a genuine T-72 is Transformers, during the scene where Captain Lennox's team is ambushed by Scorponok in the desert, and in that case the tank was wrecked.

Hmmm, IMCDB has it down as a real T-72, but I guess you might be right. Still, considering that surplus T-72s can be purchased for as little as $100,000 from Ukraine or other Eastern Bloc countries, I'd be rather surprised that the rental companies didn't acquire any.

Excalibur 11-12-2009 04:21 AM

I just recently saw Red Dawn. Suspending the impossibility of a Russian invasion without nuking Russia into the next century, it was pretty good. The iconic scene, "Wolverines" was awesome.

MoviePropMaster2008 11-12-2009 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 8418)
Hmmm, IMCDB has it down as a real T-72, but I guess you might be right. Still, considering that surplus T-72s can be purchased for as little as $100,000 from Ukraine or other Eastern Bloc countries, I'd be rather surprised that the rental companies didn't acquire any.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits Americans from acquiring any military vehicle made after 1968. Anything made after 1968 must be built from other 'grandfathered' vehicles. The only exemption is a museum which had approval from the DOD and ATF. No one in the U.S. will get a T-72 in a rental capacity. The only guy I know who had one, had it in his museum, which he jumped through many hoops to get 'approval' for

Excalibur 11-12-2009 07:30 AM

Why would they title a law call the Gun Control Act and include military vehicles?

Mandolin 11-12-2009 07:38 PM

Military vehicles have guns. Big guns. Big guns, automatic guns and armor. It scares the liberals to think of anyone being able to drive one around

Excalibur 11-12-2009 07:54 PM

Does a HUMVEE count as a military vehicle? I mean, I get tanks, AFVs, etc but there are plenty of vehicles used by the military with guns attached to them. Take away the guns and you just got a big car.

MoviePropMaster2008 11-12-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 8470)
Does a HUMVEE count as a military vehicle? I mean, I get tanks, AFVs, etc but there are plenty of vehicles used by the military with guns attached to them. Take away the guns and you just got a big car.

The Humvee is regarded as a TRUCK. Not a gun platform. It's like a JEEP. It's all about what the Government regards as a 'threat to the stability of the public' .... as if gang bangers would buy, restore and use a T-72.

Excalibur 11-13-2009 04:14 AM

The ammo for the cannon would cost more than a truck.

MT2008 11-13-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 8462)
The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits Americans from acquiring any military vehicle made after 1968. Anything made after 1968 must be built from other 'grandfathered' vehicles. The only exemption is a museum which had approval from the DOD and ATF. No one in the U.S. will get a T-72 in a rental capacity. The only guy I know who had one, had it in his museum, which he jumped through many hoops to get 'approval' for

Interesting, I did not know this. But then how did Army Trucks, Inc. get its T-55s? Were they imported before 1968? (that seems kind of hard to imagine)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 (Post 8475)
The Humvee is regarded as a TRUCK. Not a gun platform. It's like a JEEP. It's all about what the Government regards as a 'threat to the stability of the public' .... as if gang bangers would buy, restore and use a T-72.

Even then...it's important to keep in mind that some of the "military" Humvees seen in movies are actually civilian H1s which have been made to look like HMMVs.

MoviePropMaster2008 11-13-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 8498)
Interesting, I did not know this. But then how did Army Trucks, Inc. get its T-55s? Were they imported before 1968? (that seems kind of hard to imagine)

Note, that I wrote, MADE before 1968. We've imported Vintage WW2 tanks discovered in Europe in the last ten years for the obvious reasons that they were made before 1968. I worked on a Tiger tank that came from Yugoslavia that shipped to a private collector in California in the 1990s.