imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Video Games/ Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1091)

The Wierd It 11-21-2013 06:42 PM

I haven't seen it ever.

*beat*

STOP JUDGING ME!

S&Wshooter 11-21-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 39955)
I haven't seen it ever.

*beat*

STOP JUDGING ME!

I'm disappointed in you. You bring great dishonor to this forum

funkychinaman 11-21-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 39955)
I haven't seen it ever.

*beat*

STOP JUDGING ME!

You guys frequent a forum about guns in movies... and yet have never seen Heat?

S&Wshooter 11-21-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39957)

I know, right? Unacceptable

funkychinaman 11-21-2013 06:50 PM

When I was the editor of a paper back in college, I used to do movie nights with the staff for team-building. I called it "Movies for Guys Who Like Movies About Guns," a play off of TBS's series "Movies for Guys Who Like Movies." And the first movie? Heat, of course.

S&Wshooter 11-21-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39960)
When I was the editor of a paper back in college, I used to do movie nights with the staff for team-building. I called it "Movies for Guys Who Like Movies About Guns," a play off of TBS's series "Movies for Guys Who Like Movies." And the first movie? Heat, of course.

I made a few of my friends watch it with me

SPEMack618 11-21-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39957)

I took a voluntarilt sabbatical from the forum the first month after I joined so I could find HEAT and then enjoy it.

S&Wshooter 11-21-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 39962)
I took a voluntarilt sabbatical from the forum the first month after I joined so I could find HEAT and then enjoy it.

^Prime example of the right way to do it

SPEMack618 11-21-2013 08:05 PM

I'm actually rather proud of my Micheal Mann collection now:

HEAT, Miami Vice, The Kingdom, and Public Enemies

Me and my Company Commander watched it one night, and then three of the Tremors movies after I moved up to the XO slot.

funkychinaman 11-21-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39961)
I made a few of my friends watch it with me

Heat has the distinction of being the first rated-R movie I saw in the movie theater. It came out about a week after my seventeenth birthday, so I drove to the theater myself (with my new driver's license) and watched it alone. (I hate going to movies by myself now.)

Swordfish941 11-21-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 39966)
Heat has the distinction of being the first rated-R movie I saw in the movie theater. It came out about a week after my seventeenth birthday, so I drove to the theater myself (with my new driver's license) and watched it alone. (I hate going to movies by myself now.)

I enjoy going to the movies by myself since if I go with my brother, he always bothers me when I'm trying to concentrate on the film.

commando552 11-21-2013 11:44 PM

I've got no problem with going to the movies by myself, I do this quite often if I go in the middle of the day if I am off work. I saw Thor 2 the other week on my own for example (good movie BTW, weird mid-credits scene though).

Once I have been in a cinema literally by myself though, which was really weird. I remember going to see Elektra and when the movie started there were only 4 people including me in the cinema, and by 40 minutes in the other 3 had walked out. I even got up and walked down the isle to see if there was anybody else but it was just me. At that point I made a couple of phone calls and then just got my laptop out and started playing C&C Generals.

I loved Generals, I need to try reinstalling that and seeing if i can get it to work on my current computer.

funkychinaman 11-21-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 39968)
I've got no problem with going to the movies by myself, I do this quite often if I go in the middle of the day if I am off work. I saw Thor 2 the other week on my own for example (good movie BTW, weird mid-credits scene though).

Once I have been in a cinema literally by myself though, which was really weird. I remember going to see Elektra and when the movie started there were only 4 people including me in the cinema, and by 40 minutes in the other 3 had walked out. I even got up and walked down the isle to see if there was anybody else but it was just me. At that point I made a couple of phone calls and then just got my laptop out and started playing C&C Generals.

I loved Generals, I need to try reinstalling that and seeing if i can get it to work on my current computer.

I love Generals. I still play it every now and again.

Spartan198 11-22-2013 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 39954)
How have you not seen Heat until now?

I've only found it on TV twice in the last two years (I do weekly searches for it) and I could never seem to find it on DVD.

I'm ashamed. :(

Swordfish941 11-22-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commando552 (Post 39968)

I think it's connected to the Guardians of the Galaxy movie that'll be released next year.

commando552 11-22-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 39971)
I think it's connected to the Guardians of the Galaxy movie that'll be released next year.

That isn't why its weird (I'm a comic guy so I know about what the scene is setting up), the problem is with how it looks and sounds. Without giving anything away, it is total tone whiplash after the rest of the actual film, the look of it is like something out of 60s sci-fi, and it has some dawn bizarre acting in it. If that is what GOTG is like (perhaps a bit better as I think filming this scene was pretty rushed) this sort of stuff may work in the context of that, but it felt really weird tagged straight onto the end of a Thor film. IMHO, it would have worked better for the end and mid credit scenes should have been swapped round, although I do understand them wanting to actively hype GOTG though.

Excalibur 11-22-2013 04:02 AM

I've been playing Battlefield 4 and well...Apparently the best Assault rifle in my opinion is the QBZ-95 and it is actually modeled on the real thing and not the 97 misnamed. Also in the single player the only sidearm you can use is a revolver...stupid.

Evil Tim 11-22-2013 08:59 AM

Does the single player suck as badly as the one in 3? I still remember 3's was so rigidly scripted that if you ran ahead of where the game thought you would go during "Rock and a Hard Place" the enemies would actually run past you and have to turn around

Excalibur 11-22-2013 03:55 PM

Enemies are kinda hard to kill sometimes and some missions need to trigger events, like the boat mission. You hijack a chinese gunboat and you are supposed to take it back to your ship but your ship keeps getting farther away from you no matter how fast you are going. Then I checked and you are supposed to destroy all enemies around you first but that's not what the objective tells you.

I like COD Black Ops 2 better at weapon choice and customization. BF4 has a similar system where you can pick your guns for the mission but unlike Black Ops 2, you can't choose your weapon attachments, which is bullshit.

The Wierd It 11-22-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39975)
I like COD Black Ops 2 better at weapon choice and customization. BF4 has a similar system where you can pick your guns for the mission but unlike Black Ops 2, you can't choose your weapon attachments, which is bullshit.

So what's the point then? If I prefer using a given weapon I want to be able to set it up for the situation at hand.

SPEMack618 11-24-2013 08:13 PM

My God...I feel dumb after having watched "White House Down" and "World War Z" this weekend.

About the only redeeming feature from either movie is the fact that the cool guy at Camp Humphrey in South Korea, which a 75th Ranger Regiment scroll as his combat patch.

"White House Down" was just an assault on the senses, and I'm sorry but as a conservative leaning professional Army officer, with quite the personal gun collection, it was a struggle to finish the movie.

The only thing I enjoyed in it was the Air Force captain deciding not to bomb the White House. That's it. I nearly turned it off when the RPG-7 took out the Abrams. I was shouted down by my bunkmates.

Swordfish941 11-24-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 39977)
My God...I feel dumb after having watched "White House Down" and "World War Z" this weekend.

Roland Emmerich films usually make you feel dumb.

The Wierd It 11-24-2013 10:21 PM

I'm still not sure why after going to all the trouble to get filming permission to use RFA Argus they decided to make it into an American ship.

Besides, wouldn't a Hospital Sh- sorry, Primary Casualty Receiving Ship be a good asset to have in a zombie apocalypse?

Evil Tim 11-25-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 39976)
So what's the point then? If I prefer using a given weapon I want to be able to set it up for the situation at hand.

Director mentality. Game designer is the director, player is the actor, so player's job is to do exactly what designer says or CUT GO AGAIN. Obviously any choices you make would only be wrong anyway so they don't let you make them.

Excalibur 11-25-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEMack618 (Post 39977)

Read the book World War Z...SOOOOO much better

Swordfish941 11-25-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39982)

I'm currently reading it and its a damn good read.

SPEMack618 11-25-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 39982)

I read it in the Sandbox. I wasn't exactly impressed with it, either.

The obvious Karl Rove as the Presidential Chief of Staff, the bitchy fighter pilot turned trash hauler, the gardner who fought off an entire hoard with his sword all sort of made me go "meh".

But what killed it was the description of the SIR. Oh my good Lord in heaven and his Prophet John Moses Browning...

And I think I could have tolerated all of the above had, the "seasoned veteran" not described the 5.56mm as "hard kicking"

Evil Tim 11-25-2013 08:17 PM

You know, I just realised Riley died in Ghosts. They forgot to get him off that carrier, or mention leaving him behind. So much for important! :rolleyes:

S&Wshooter 11-25-2013 08:26 PM

My brother rented Ghosts this weekend, and it didn't really look like it was worth playing

SPEMack618 11-25-2013 08:45 PM

I'm off the opinion that any COD game that doesn't have Soap isn't worth playing....so yeah, no more COD.

S&Wshooter 11-25-2013 08:51 PM

I think I'd rather play through the STALKER games I didn't get around to that play anything new

S&Wshooter 11-25-2013 08:57 PM

I'll need to find something to run Clear Sky, though; I don't think my laptop comes even close to being able to run it

funkychinaman 11-28-2013 06:00 PM

My buddy and I found a promo for the Indian version of 24 last night. No dancing in sight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvkaIVbPpXk

Swordfish941 11-30-2013 01:24 AM

I bought Army of Darkness today. Fuckin' awesome movie.

Spartan198 11-30-2013 06:55 AM

^It isn't just awesome... it's groovy. :D

Okay, so let me get this straight, Strike Back Season 1 ends with Porter declared a rogue operative and a team of Deltas being deployed to go after him with orders to kill on sight. Season 2 begins with Porter back working with Section 20 as if nothing ever happened?

Why did they even kill Porter off in S2 to begin with? Had they left S1's ending ambiguous, it could have opened the door for them to bring Armitage back for S5 to team up with Scott and Stonebridge for an epic final battle against all the world's terrorists.

Excalibur 11-30-2013 04:29 PM

You really watched Strike Back for the deep story?

Excalibur 12-03-2013 04:46 AM

Ahh-nold’s back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHpSdQSH0c

funkychinaman 12-03-2013 04:29 PM

For the record, I will not be paying to see a Booster Gold movie.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/12/...perhero-films/

Excalibur 12-03-2013 08:11 PM

Just go watch the Smallville episode where Booster Gold cameo in it

funkychinaman 12-03-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 40015)
Just go watch the Smallville episode where Booster Gold cameo in it

I just rewatched the Justice League Unlimited episode featuring Booster Gold over the break. Meh, he's a little lame. And I don't really see how you COULD do a low budget movie with him. The guy flies and has a talking robot buddy.