imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weapons of the LAPD (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=675)

Yournamehere 11-15-2009 01:02 AM

The 4506 is still in production as the 4506 TSW I believe, and in my opinion, it seems to be a champ. It's a .45 Automatic made by Smith & Wesson. Their 3rd gens are very reliable and durable with their stainless steel construction. On my long list of guns to get for my collection, it's on there around mid range. Right now I'm looking for a Browning Hi-Power though.

MT2008 11-15-2009 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 8538)
The 4506 is still in production as the 4506 TSW I believe

Nope. There's a 4056 TSW, but that's not the same gun. None of the TSW line are as big as the 4506 was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 8506)
The 4506 (and smith 3rd gens in general) are known to eat anything you feed them

Except reloads, unfortunately. But then, my Dad wasn't really sure how to do reliable .45 ACP loads, only .45 Long Colt (which is what he shoots more often). I think we might be able to make better ones next time, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira (Post 8528)
I think 4506s would do a pretty good job for a Military sidearm. The only problem would be how many bullets the thing has. It only has Eight bullets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 8529)
9 rounds of 45 acp is plenty. In the miltiary, a sidearm is a last ditch attempt weapon, basically its better than a pointy stick for helping you get to a new rifle. In law enforcement and self defense, if 9 doesn't do it, you're screwed anyway. I feel 1911s deliver good firepower for their prpose, and so do other single stack autos.

Yeah, I agree, .45 ACP is meant to be used in single-stack pistols, anyway. Double-stack .45s tend to be too thick for people without big hands. And for a sidearm in that caliber, 8-9 rounds is enough.

Anyway, the bigger problem for the 4506 becoming a military sidearm is the fact that it's not made anymore. I can also say (since I actually own a 4506) that it's a bit large and heavy, especially at a time when polymer-framed pistols are in style. As I've said before, I think the Smith & Wesson 4566 probably makes way more sense for most people, since it's not quite as big. Though admittedly, I've never seen/held/fired one before, so I'm not sure, but that is my intuition.

Yournamehere 11-15-2009 01:31 AM

Damn, I was thinking of the 4566 TSW, which is, again, not the same gun, but a similar one. I saw somewhere someone specifically mention a 4506 TSW, which would make sense, but I can't find anything else on it. Weird.

S&Wshooter 12-12-2009 12:05 AM

Heavy? All the better for pistol whipping people!:D . I don't like the decocker though because I can't keep it "cocked and locked" like my POS High Standard