imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Won't be posting for awhile. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=564)

Ace Oliveira 10-21-2009 07:45 PM

You would think all those AK-74s the soviets left behind in the war would be useful for terrorists but it seems like they don't use them.

I've seen lots of AK-74s being used in Africa and Latin America though.

Excalibur 10-22-2009 01:09 AM

I'm sure they do, it's hard to tell where an AK came from when you pick it up on the field.

Nyles 10-22-2009 06:08 PM

Of course the captured Ak-74s would have been useful, back in 1989 when the Soviets pulled out. They've had 20 years of constant warfare, poor maintenance and absolutely apalling storage conditions since. To say nothing of the fact that between the Soviets leaving and a few years ago when it started hitting the surplus markets, they had no source for 5.45mm ammo. Don't forget, most of the former Soviet republics and Warsaw Pact states never switched over. I'm not saying they don't exist, but they are not common.

It's not hard to know where an AK came from if you know your variants and factory markings, not at all. Most infantry soldiers don't care, and rightly so - a 7.62 round has exactly the same effect coming out of Russian or Chinese AK. I, on the other hand, do know, and am required by my job to know.

AdAstra2009 10-22-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 7776)
I, on the other hand, do know, and am required by my job to know.

Are you a small arms armorer or something?

Nyles 10-23-2009 08:43 AM

No, and given as my internet runs through Pakistan I'd rather not go into details about what I do.

Hello, ISI analyst!

Jcordell 10-23-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyles (Post 7790)
No, and given as my internet runs through Pakistan I'd rather not go into details about what I do.

Hello, ISI analyst!

Absolutely. OP-SEC first and foremost. Is that cool abbreviation still in use? It's been many years since I was in.

Nyles 10-23-2009 06:52 PM

Oh yeah, and believe me, I hear it alot. I'm using a fake name on Facebook and everything.

Jcordell 10-23-2009 06:58 PM

Just tell the curious guys that if they continue to ask you'll reach through their computer and kill them. :D

Ace Oliveira 10-23-2009 09:04 PM

I don't get it. Is the Pakistani Government spying on ISAF soldiers or something? If they are doing that, why would they do that? It makes no sense!

MT2008 10-24-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira (Post 7804)
I don't get it. Is the Pakistani Government spying on ISAF soldiers or something? If they are doing that, why would they do that? It makes no sense!

The ISI is full of operatives who helped get the Taliban off the ground in the 90s and are still sympathetic to them. It's one of the many reasons why so many Americans can't stand the thought of calling Pakistan an "ally".