imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Films with realistic depiction's of firefights and shoot-outs (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=95)

Excalibur 12-25-2009 12:42 AM

Ok except with that part.

sillybunz13 11-22-2010 07:27 PM

The Way of the Gun was really good with room clearings, reloads, and magazine capacity.

Heat's shootout was amazing though. Advancing ground, suppressive fire, reloading, and also the sounds of the gunshots were ridiculously good.

Terminator 2 was really good with excellent high grips (Linda Hamilton), no flinching during shootings and good reloads (Robert Patrick).

MT2008 11-22-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillybunz13 (Post 22369)
The Way of the Gun was really good with room clearings, reloads, and magazine capacity.

I'll give you the room clearing and tactical reloads, but magazine capacity? In the final shootout, they were routinely firing dozens of rounds from their 1911s without reloading.

Not to mention that I still think it's pretty ridiculous that they carry so many 1911 mags, but Longbaugh goes into combat with only two mags for his .308 Galil (the one weapon which would have been decisive in the outcome of the gun battle).

Excalibur 11-22-2010 07:54 PM

Well the Galil is a rare weapon in this country. Maybe he couldn't get anymore mags for it. He should have brought more ammo. Also maybe they just brought a lot of 1911 mags, and their 1911s were chambered in 9mm. Also, I wonder why they didn't use the USP the black guy had or the ppk or the Browning Hi Power from that other guy?

MT2008 11-22-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 22376)
Well the Galil is a rare weapon in this country. Maybe he couldn't get anymore mags for it. He should have brought more ammo.

True, but I think in this case, it was more of a plot device than anything else. If he had been carrying enough Galil mags and .308 ammo to last the entire standoff, he would have pretty much dominated (even without Parker's help). A half-dozen washed-up old men with revolvers and shotguns are not going to be a match for a guy with a Galil and body armor.

Also, I thought it was equally ridiculous that he used the Galil the way he did...spraying the walls on full-auto (or rather, semi-auto with automatic gunfire sound F/X) and hoping to hit Jeffers and the other guy. Considering that he and Parker display such excellent tactical competence for the rest of the movie, you'd think he would know that "spray-and-pray" shooting is a dumb idea.

Quote:

Also maybe they just brought a lot of 1911 mags, and their 1911s were chambered in 9mm.

There's no way anybody could carry as many 1911 mags as they went through (especially for the number of rounds they went through). It would be almost physically impossible. At the very least, we should have seen bandoleers full of 1911 mags draped across their chests, but we didn't.

Quote:

Also, I wonder why they didn't use the USP the black guy had or the ppk or the Browning Hi Power from that other guy?

Because HK sucks and hates them. Sorry, J/K, couldn't resist. :D That is another good point.

sillybunz13 11-22-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22371)
I'll give you the room clearing and tactical reloads, but magazine capacity? In the final shootout, they were routinely firing dozens of rounds from their 1911s without reloading.

Not to mention that I still think it's pretty ridiculous that they carry so many 1911 mags, but Longbaugh goes into combat with only two mags for his .308 Galil (the one weapon which would have been decisive in the outcome of the gun battle).

Every round fired is accounted for and all characters reload when appropriate, with the exception of one sequence in the brothel courtyard where Parker and Longbaugh fire dozens of rounds in rapid succession without pausing to reload: an intentional sort of fun tribute to classic action movies. Plus the 1911s in the movie were 9mm so they would shoot more than a .45 version would.

predator20 11-22-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillybunz13 (Post 22369)

Heat's shootout was amazing though. Advancing ground, suppressive fire, reloading, and also the sounds of the gunshots were ridiculously good.

Terminator 2 was really good with excellent high grips (Linda Hamilton), no flinching during shootings and good reloads (Robert Patrick).

I didn't think much of The Way of the Gun when I saw it back in high school. But I rented it a few months back and then bought it on Blu-Ray.

Other than the part where they are firing at the one guy behind the column, magazine capacity is accounted for.

MT2008 11-22-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillybunz13 (Post 22382)
Every round fired is accounted for and all characters reload when appropriate, with the exception of one sequence in the brothel courtyard where Parker and Longbaugh fire dozens of rounds in rapid succession without pausing to reload: an intentional sort of fun tribute to classic action movies.

You got that from IMDB's Trivia section for the movie. Next time, please cite it.

The person who wrote that comment on IMDB took it from the DVD commentary. Although McQuarrie claims that every round fired in the movie is accounted for (except for the courtyard shootout), I personally think he's exaggerating. Characters fire more ammo than their weapons hold in more scenes than just that one (i.e. in the motel shootout, Jeffers fires 25 rounds from his USP without reloading).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillybunz13 (Post 22382)
Plus the 1911s in the movie were 9mm so they would shoot more than a .45 version would.

The Mark IV Series 70 (the type they used) takes a 9-shot magazine, which is not substantially more than the .45 ACP version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 22383)
I didn't think much of The Way of the Gun when I saw it back in high school. But I rented it a few months back and then bought it on Blu-Ray.

Likewise. I saw it first about 5 years ago and didn't care much for it (thought it ripped off Tarantino too much). But I watched it again recently, and now I have to admit that I enjoy it more than I used to.

That being said, I still don't think it's quite as realistic as some gun guys claim it is (even though the CQB tactics are used quite well).

predator20 11-22-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22381)
True, but I think in this case, it was more of a plot device than anything else. If he had been carrying enough Galil mags and .308 ammo to last the entire standoff, he would have pretty much dominated (even without Parker's help). A half-dozen washed-up old men with revolvers and shotguns are not going to be a match for a guy with a Galil and body armor.

Also, I thought it was equally ridiculous that he used the Galil the way he did...spraying the walls on full-auto (or rather, semi-auto with automatic gunfire sound F/X) and hoping to hit Jeffers and the other guy. Considering that he and Parker display such excellent tactical competence for the rest of the movie, you'd think he would know that "spray-and-pray" shooting is a dumb idea.

There's no way anybody could carry as many 1911 mags as they went through (especially for the number of rounds they went through). It would be almost physically impossible. At the very least, we should have seen bandoleers full of 1911 mags draped across their chests, but we didn't.

Because HK sucks and hates them. Sorry, J/K, couldn't resist. :D That is another good point.

I never understood that part when Longbaugh spends 2 mags trying to hit Jeffers. I guess you can say he was laying down suppressing fire. He would have run through all those guys if he would have had additional mags on him. But you're right it was more of a plot device to even the odds. He may have had additional .308 ammo in his vehicle. Who knows. Parker still had his 870 and a large shell bag on him. Which helped them.

In terms of true capacity for their 9mm 1911s. 10 rounds for the gun itself (9 + 1 in chamber). Quad mag holders 4x9 = 36, 46 total rounds apiece. They could have also been carrying some in their pockets. So you're looking at maybe 60 to 70 at the most.

Swordfish941 11-22-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22381)

That joke's kind of gotten old. I now just find it annoying like the "That's what she said" jokes (unless it is coming from Michael Scott).

predator20 11-22-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22384)
Likewise. I saw it first about 5 years ago and didn't care much for it (thought it ripped off Tarantino too much). But I watched it again recently, and now I have to admit that I enjoy it more than I used to.

I didn't really see it as a Tarantino rip-off when I first watched it, with Tarantino's dialogue being the way it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 22384)
That being said, I still don't think it's quite as realistic as some gun guys claim it is (even though the CQB tactics are used quite well).

The film might cheat in some places, but it's better than 95% of the action films out there. Back when I first watched it I wasn't into guns, but now that I am, I have a lot more respect for the film.

Another thing I liked is you didn't see guys flying through the air when shot. Back when I was younger I thought it was cool, now it will ruin a movie for me.

MT2008 11-22-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 22387)
I never understood that part when Longbaugh spends 2 mags trying to hit Jeffers. I guess you can say he was laying down suppressing fire.

Initially, yeah, but once he and Parker were behind cover, he was still firing way too much. Suppressive fire is used to advance or cover a retreat. He was basically just emptying his mags into the walls and hoping that if he fired enough rounds, one might hit the target. That's the sort of thing that nobody with his (apparent) level of military training would do.

Speaking of which, another thing that I thought ridiculous was that he was using the Galil indoors at all. A .308 rifle (especially with the Galil's barrel length) is a poor CQB choice. Plus, he knew that they were going to be facing Joe Sarno later (even though they didn't know how many other guys he was going to have with him). Since Longbaugh had only two Galil mags, wouldn't it have made more sense to stick with the 1911 while he was indoors? Then, later on, he could have set up his Galil in a window and covered Parker while he went outside to get the money. If I were in their situation, with their equipment, that's what I would probably do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 22387)
In terms of true capacity for their 9mm 1911s. 10 rounds for the gun itself (9 + 1 in chamber). Quad mag holders 4x9 = 36, 46 total rounds apiece. They could have also been carrying some in their pockets. So you're looking at maybe 60 to 70 at the most.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Parker went through 60 rounds in the fountain alone. Too bad this movie was made in the days before PALS web gear became popular; then they could have probably carried way more mags on their vests.

MT2008 11-22-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 22389)
That joke's kind of gotten old.

Granted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 22390)
I didn't really see it as a Tarantino rip-off when I first watched it, with Tarantino's dialogue being the way it is.

It's not so much the dialogue as the atmosphere and the way the movie mixes humor with violence that made me think of Tarantino. But I admit, even if this movie has some Tarantino influences, it still stands apart in other ways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 22390)
The film might cheat in some places, but it's better than 95% of the action films out there. Back when I first watched it I wasn't into guns, but now that I am, I have a lot more respect for the film.

Another thing I liked is you didn't see guys flying through the air when shot. Back when I was younger I thought it was cool, now it will ruin a movie for me.

I was pretty big into guns when I first watched it, but this was back in the days when I couldn't enjoy any movie that didn't have huge shootouts with M4s, G36s, or any high-tech military weapons being fired on full-auto. Since this movie only has a few "tacticool" weapons (the Galil and the USPs), it didn't appeal much to me then. What can I say. I have since wisened up. :D

k9870 11-22-2010 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look at the AK dude, he has enough pistol mags:D

Swordfish941 11-22-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 22409)
Look at the AK dude, he has enough pistol mags:D

Something looks off in that picture.

k9870 11-22-2010 11:39 PM

a lot is off

funkychinaman 11-23-2010 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 22411)
a lot is off

Like how using a teal and yellow backpack negates the value of wearing head-to-toe camouflage?

Swordfish941 11-23-2010 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 22421)
Like how using a teal and yellow backpack negates the value of wearing head-to-toe camouflage?

And why does the ski-mask guy have a plastic water bottle on his chest rig?

funkychinaman 11-23-2010 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 22422)
And why does the ski-mask guy have a plastic water bottle on his chest rig?

The man is wearing all black (including a balaclava) in what I can assume is a tropical environment. I'd want water wherever I can get it.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 11-23-2010 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 22421)

You don't need camo in an urban environment, so it's irrelevant.

k9870 11-23-2010 12:28 PM

Nobody has matching weapons, and I cant believe nobody has brought up that the guy is dual wielding. Uniforms dont match. Looks more like a militia than police.

Jcordell 11-23-2010 03:45 PM

Is that from a few years ago when the cops in Brazil were engaged in an unofficial war with the gangs in the slums? I recall hearing a news story about police helicopters being shot down and the cops getting weapons from anywhere they could.

The biggest thing I recall from that time was being grateful that I'm a cop in the U.S. .

k9870 11-23-2010 06:24 PM

Im glad ill never have to be a cop in mexico. In america I know other cops will have my back instead of turning a blind eye when theyre slipped some drug money, and know my crusier wont be ambushed by thugs with automatic rifles.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 11-23-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 22463)
Im glad ill never have to be a cop in mexico. In america I know other cops will have my back instead of turning a blind eye when theyre slipped some drug money, and know my crusier wont be ambushed by thugs with automatic rifles.

That still happens here, just nowhere near as much as in Mexico.

S&Wshooter 11-23-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache (Post 22466)
That still happens here, just nowhere near as much as in Mexico.

Just another reason not to be a cop in Detroit, boder towns in Texas where all the cartel assholes hang out, or any city in southern California

k9870 11-23-2010 06:55 PM

Dont know where Ill end up being a cop but I seriously hope somewhere nice.

S&Wshooter 11-23-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 22468)
Dont know where Ill end up being a cop but I seriously hope somewhere nice.

Houston! You'll only get shot at with Lorcins, Sigmas and Hi Points, not AK's :p

k9870 11-23-2010 07:30 PM

Hot weather aint my thing, especially when you factor in wearing body armor. I prefer to stay in the North.

S&Wshooter 11-23-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 22473)
Hot weather aint my thing, especially when you factor in wearing body armor. I prefer to stay in the North.

Go chill with Checkman in Idaho :p

k9870 11-23-2010 07:42 PM

He stated he has to carry a glock though:p

Gunmaster45 11-23-2010 07:56 PM

In the picture, the guy with his AKM rested against the wall has his thumb rested on the barrel. He will greatly regret that after sustained fire. Also the guy with the AKMS in the background has a very strangle looking folding stock, with what looks like some sort of cheek rest. Don't know what it is.

k9870, become a cop in Massachusetts, where you can carry a SIG P226. Or LA, where you can carry a Beretta 92FS and get payed better than any other cop in the country.

BurtReynoldsMoustache 11-23-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 (Post 22477)
In the picture, the guy with his AKM rested against the wall has his thumb rested on the barrel. He will greatly regret that after sustained fire. Also the guy with the AKMS in the background has a very strangle looking folding stock, with what looks like some sort of cheek rest. Don't know what it is.

k9870, become a cop in Massachusetts, where you can carry a SIG P226. Or LA, where you can carry a Beretta 92FS and get payed better than any other cop in the country.

If you join the LAPD at 21 you can retire at 35. Please don't come here, we're in the middle of a budget crisis.

k9870 11-23-2010 08:55 PM

Ill never live in Mass, too damn liberal, gun controls rediculous, your not allowed to defend your home, grocery stores cant sell alcohol, etc.

And I hate berettas too:D

I think Ill go with whatever department I can, even border patrol if their budget gets fixed and they hire again.

Jcordell 11-23-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 22474)
Go chill with Checkman in Idaho :p

Yeah especially right now. Blizzards, sub-zero temps and closed Interstates due to blowing snow anybody?

Actually I'm fortunate enough to live here in Southwestern Idaho. The so-called "banana belt" of Idaho. Many times all about us will be buried in snow and we'll get rain or at least wet snow that melts within a few days. But when a big storm comes in , like now, we're basically locked in. A whole valley with almost 500,000 people and nowhere to go. Weird.

Come up to Idaho k9870. Many departments (to include mine) are currently hiring. You may not make what they pay in the big huge metor areas, but then it's not as expensive to live here either.

Plus we're all a bunch of frigging gun-nuts up here. You'll love it. :D

We even got a Cabelas.

k9870 11-23-2010 11:07 PM

Was watching NCIS and there gun handling is very good, not quite realism but nice high grips, no teacup crap, trigger discipline, etc. (the main cast, random bad guys wrap fingers around triggers and point them everywhere.

S&Wshooter 11-23-2010 11:16 PM

Or, K9870, you could be a cop in Beaumont. Carry whatever the hell you want below a magnum and get shot at all day, every day by people you can't arrest because it's "racist"

funkychinaman 11-23-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 22495)
Or, K9870, you could be a cop in Beaumont. Carry whatever the hell you want below a magnum and get shot at all day, every day by people you can't arrest because it's "racist"

I have to admit, the only reason I'm familiar with Beaumont, TX is because of Ron White. All I know is that it's close to Houston.

S&Wshooter 11-23-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychinaman (Post 22497)
I have to admit, the only reason I'm familiar with Beaumont, TX is because of Ron White. All I know is that it's close to Houston.

1:30 from Houston, good people terrorized by ghetto trash. Crippling poverty and drug use everywhere. It wasn't always like that though. It was a pretty decent place before crack

Markost 11-25-2010 01:05 AM

Has anyone seen The Aura? One of the final shootouts was pretty realistic,
one of the robbers was trying to aim his Taurus to a guard with a single hand, wasting bullets until he took it with both hands.

Excalibur 11-26-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markost (Post 22531)
Has anyone seen The Aura? One of the final shootouts was pretty realistic,
one of the robbers was trying to aim his Taurus to a guard with a single hand, wasting bullets until he took it with both hands.

I tried to look up that film on Youtube, and got nothing.