imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Guns & Movies (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sucker Punch (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1405)

MT2008 12-14-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 23120)
Just think, without a ton of special effects most of the popular movies of the past decade would have failed miserably

Probably. You think people went to see "Avatar" because of the green/eco-hippie messages? Or "The Dark Knight" for its psycho-babble that wouldn't pass a freshman-level sociology class? Just looking at the list of the highest grossing movies (here), I don't see many that aren't special effects-driven. I also don't see very many whose lead performances received Oscar nominations or wins (though obviously, "The Dark Knight" is an exception).

Are you being serious? Or are you just doing your usual teenage "holier-than-thou"/"nonconformist" thing again?

S&Wshooter 12-14-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 23122)
"wholier-than-thou"

Quote:

wholier
:confused:

MT2008 12-14-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 23123)
:confused:

Typo. Duh.

S&Wshooter 12-14-2010 10:57 PM

I could very easily start some shit right now, which would turn into a big deal, but I'd rather not derail another thread.

I'll probably this movie when Netflix picks it up. It looks fun

MT2008 12-14-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 23125)
I could very easily start some shit right now, which would turn into a big deal, but I'd rather not derail another thread.

I'll probably this movie when Netflix picks it up. It looks fun

And that's my point...sometimes, people watch movies just to have fun. I wouldn't have much respect for a person who thought "Avatar" was better than "The Godfather", but that doesn't mean I can't watch "Avatar" and enjoy it for what it is. Likewise, I may or may not enjoy "Sucker Punch" on the same terms.

Swordfish941 12-15-2010 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 23127)
I wouldn't have much respect for a person who thought "Avatar" was better than "The Godfather".

Comparing Avatar to The Godfather is like comparing 500 Days Of Summer to Annie Hall; both are good films, but one is better than the other.

Swordfish941 02-04-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT2008 (Post 23106)
I'm hoping it'll be as awesome as the trailer makes it look, but "Watchmen" made me start to think Zack Snyder is kind of a one-trick pony.

We're just lucky that he's finally doing something original. And now I heard he's directing a new Superman film (Christopher Nolan is producing and Henry Cavill is playing Superman).

BeardedHoplite 02-04-2011 10:11 PM

Eh, too much CGI for me. I'll pick it up when it's in my local bargain DVD store.
That and I really don't care for Zack Snyder.

Swordfish941 02-05-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite (Post 25197)
That and I really don't care for Zack Snyder.

But you have to give the guy credit. He was able to adapt Watchmen where other directors like Terry Gilliam, Paul Greengrass, and Darren Aronofsky failed.

BeardedHoplite 02-05-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordfish941 (Post 25200)
But you have to give the guy credit. He was able to adapt Watchmen where other directors like Terry Gilliam, Paul Greengrass, and Darren Aronofsky failed.

I actually didn't like Watchmen, although I didn't see the director's cut. I would have liked to see Gilliam do it.