imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Got my Hi-Power. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=893)

Yournamehere 01-25-2010 03:35 AM

All you have to do is take out the trigger group and then pull out the mag disconnect, from what I understand. It's relatively simple, I just couldn't get the trigger pin out after a few taps with my punch and hammer, so I gave up before I damaged the gun.

k9870 01-25-2010 03:49 AM

A HP can be done with a pin removed and slide it out...the smith, no idea. I hate mag disconnects since they give you a disadvantage. If you bend feed lips on magazine and cant get the mag to seat right or feed, you may need to load one at a time into the chamber.

Excalibur 01-25-2010 04:08 AM

It's a beautiful gun

MT2008 01-26-2010 04:40 AM

I love it! Actually, I have a slight preference for the circular hammers, but don't get me wrong...still a beautiful gun.

Yournamehere 01-26-2010 05:47 AM

Yeah I was steering toward a round one initially (I even wanted to replace my 1911s hammer with a Commander style) but I was having so much trouble finding one at a good price that I decided I didn't care what type of hammer spur was on it. I might save up and get a round hammer too sometime down the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 11178)
How would you go about taking out the mag disconnect? The one on my 4506 is getting on my nerves

The FN and Smith & Wesson Disconnects are very different, and while I understand how to remove the disconnect from the Browning, I never figured out how to do it on the Smith & Wessons. In hindsight I believe placing a pin where the ejector spring is to keep it propped up would work, but I'm not sure.

Nyles 01-26-2010 05:01 PM

Both my personal and issued Hi Powers still have the mag disconnect (one's a collectible, the other would lead to some very one-sided questions from the quartermaster) - it's not condusive to a good trigger, but frankly you're never going to have a match trigger on a Hi Power anyways. You actually can drop the hammer without putting in a mag, just stick your middle finger up the mag well and press in the disconnect in the front.

k9870 01-26-2010 05:32 PM

I hate mag disconencts and grip safetys, more useless stuff to go wrong.

Yournamehere 01-26-2010 09:07 PM

I'm not aiming for a match trigger so much as I'm just aiming to have the Hi-Power behave like the 1911. As for the middle finger thing, I just tried it and couldn't reach it. I'd need a tool for that. From what I've read, though, removing the disconnect does tend to smooth out the trigger, as you're removing a spring in the trigger group that works agasinst the pull. I think the trigger's performance right now is fine, but I would like it to mirror the 1911s function, and if the trigger pull does imrpove, that's good too.