imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Self Defense (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=2460)

Yournamehere 06-21-2016 07:13 PM

The cheaper AR500 steel plates are affordable, but they only perform to Level III specs. They won't stop M193 out of a 20 inch barrel at close range, which would be a very common threat in SHTF, a mass shooting or a well armed home invasion. They are also substantially heavier than ceramic/composite plates that will stop more threats. They may be inexpensive, but they are a poor choice for certain intended uses, and, in my mind, the use they are intended for by the factory (overt SHTF armor). The only offerings worth buying are the Level III+ Lightweight plates, but they cost a lot more than the entry level plates, almost as much as Level IV standalones at other places. Not to mention their backlog is ridiculous. The only thing that lower end AR500 and steel armor in general has going for it is that it's sort of inexpensive, slim, readily available (sort of), and durable as all hell. The problem, however, is that it's bad body armor.

I was and still am considering getting AR500 Level III+ lightweight armor, but their wait time is not going down anytime soon. I believe Spartan Armor Systems Armaply, which has the same protection capabilities, is in stock all the time and about the same price if not cheaper. So, if you have to go steel, consider that. Personally, though, if I were to get plates, I think I'm probably just gonna shell out money for Level IV Ceramics at SKD or AT Armor and take care of them.

"But I only want concealable armor that will stop pistol threats" you may say. That's cool. Get soft armor. It will be a lot lighter and more comfortable and probably about the same price. Even if it's more, it will be worth it not to have to lug around steel or even bulkier ceramics.

commando552 06-21-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42758)
I've also been looking at body armor. I hear AR500 has good prices

The big problems with AR500 is that compared to ceramic plates it is much heavier, and it also only has a single curve so tends to not fit to your body as well as more expensive plates. For home defence or as a SHTF carrier in your car though neither of these really matter that much, as your aren't wearing it for 12 hours at a time trudging across a desert (I assume). I think they also only make them in NIJ Level III+, but unless you are expecting to go up against someone using armour piercing .30-06 rounds, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Edit: Yournamehere beat me to it.

Excalibur 06-21-2016 09:15 PM

I'm fine with options. If there are better choices, I don't mind dishing out my hard earn cash for the comfort of having armor that will stop most threats.

I've been building a sort of emergency bag of first aid and other things I can grab in a hurry.

Excalibur 06-22-2016 03:03 PM

I think right now, I'm working on my bug out bag. Looking for different types of backpacks that's tough in all weather. It needs the basic essential stuff like first-aid, survival gear, extra clothes, gun stuff (ammo, parts, tools). I need to invest in a good pair of boots as well.

AdAstra2009 09-12-2016 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42763)
I'm fine with options. If there are better choices, I don't mind dishing out my hard earn cash for the comfort of having armor that will stop most threats.

I've been building a sort of emergency bag of first aid and other things I can grab in a hurry.

For home defense I would recommend just checking ebay for a used army interceptor vest. I got one from them and only paid around $120.00 for it and the level 3A soft armor inserts it came with.

Excalibur 09-13-2016 02:27 PM

Do you have other things attached to it like mag pouches?

AdAstra2009 09-13-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 42971)
Do you have other things attached to it like mag pouches?

3 double mag pouches and an ifak.

Spartan198 09-13-2016 10:49 PM

Interceptor body armor and SBRs? Won't anyone think of the tourists?

Obviously, this is sarcasm because I have no qualms about private ownership of either. ;)

Excalibur 09-14-2016 02:34 PM

Who goes on vacation to Maine other than Stephen King?